Looking for male, panel mount jacks

Started by stallik, December 12, 2020, 06:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stallik

Not dumb at all. I was struggling with that technique because all of my plugs had a plate only as wide as the thread so the nut would not brace the plug against the enclosure.
From suggestions here, I've found some plugs with the correct dimensions which I hope will work. They should be here before the weekend so I'll give it a try.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

edvard

Just get some of those Switchcraft "pancake" plugs and throw away the back part:

I did that to turn a Bass into an 'active' Bass by building a pre-amp into one of those small plastic boxes from Radio Shack and screwing the front half of a pancake plug to the box face.

P.S.:  Tayda has them for $0.49 each.  Not Switchcraft, but that makes them all the better for experimenting...
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

davent

In my experience the Tayda one, the plug is intermittent with the body which is your ground connection, garbage. You could spin the plug in the body.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

edvard

Quote from: davent on December 17, 2020, 01:11:17 PM
In my experience the Tayda one, the plug is intermittent with the body which is your ground connection, garbage. You could spin the plug in the body.
dave

Yipes!!  Good thing I never bought any of those.  SwitchCraft ones should do just find though.
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

pacealot

Very timely thread for me as well, as I've been breadboarding three different Dan Armstrong circuits recently (Ringer/Peaker/Squeezer, at least to start with), and have been fantasising about building a pedalboard set-up to accept plug-in boxes as part of a whole modular design trope. Glad to see that others have figured out how to cope with the narrow shoulder plug issue! I had been wracking my brain to think of various possible hardware solutions.

Now, to figure out if I can somehow fit all that and a 9V battery into a 1590MM enclosure! (Answer thus far: not unless it's made out of a leftover TARDIS...)
"When a man assumes, he makes an ass out of some part of you and me."

stallik

Rather than incorporate a battery, you could make a 9v connector in the same way as the jack plug and power your modules from the board.

That's what I'm doing with mine. Still waiting for the parts to arrive but I'll keep you posted on my progress
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

pacealot

That's definitely a good plan B — I am hoping to make them dual-use so they can still be plugged into the guitar jack as well, and an actual 9V in situ would be required for that. But I do really like your idea too!

I'd love to figure out a source for boxes just a smidge bigger but still similar proportions (without resorting to either backyard sand casting or building a DIY sheet metal brake! It will probably have to come to that in the end)...
"When a man assumes, he makes an ass out of some part of you and me."

stallik

Well, my jacks arrived along with a Hammond 1550P enclosure. I had to work round the enclosure flange to get one of the jacks in the right place and ended up fixing the 9v plug with glue, using too much and making a mess trying to file the excess down. Never mind, it's hidden behind the box when it's in place.

9v supply on the front of the PA was my addition. Original rebote layout on vero. Didn't need mix or level controls as I already had them in the PA effects loop. Oh, and some of the caps are fitted to the track side as I only had giant caps of some values. All boxed up by 10.00am, Tayda delivery at 10.30am - with the small caps! Think i'll leave it...

duck_arse

it's past midnight here, so too late to win the internets for last year, might be a bit early to call for this, new, year. but certainly high on the list. very nice, very amusing.
don't make me draw another line.

stallik

Hey! Happy new year Duck. It's just gotta be better than the last one...

Fancy Lime

My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

duck_arse

^ that's what I thought, too. you'll lose that box as soon as you attach it, stealth style.
don't make me draw another line.

stallik

That was the idea and it works pretty well from one viewpoint. Move a bit and the illusion is lost.