Rotary encoder for Memory Man with Hazarai (UK)

Started by slashandburn, December 23, 2020, 10:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slashandburn

Friend of mines has just snapped the shaft off the "Hazarai" pot on his Memory Man, im looking to get the right replacement part for him.

From what I gather it's a rotary encoder rather than a potentiometer. Can anyone help find the right replacement part from a UK supplier?

I'm pretty sure it's a splined shaft, 5 pin rotary encoder with push button but I'm not very well versed in digital.

Good old small bear suggests this part but is light on details: http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/rotary-encoder/

Cheers
Iain

patrick398

slashandburn

Nice one thanks Partick! I was already looking at RS (grudgingly, already fell out with them over the postage thing and now they've gone and hiked up the price of the enclosures I liked  :icon_lol:)

Forgive my ignorance but the difference between 18, 20 and 24 pulse won't make a huge difference for him scrolling through the presets? I think I read elsewhere it will likely just affect how fast it scrolls and not limit the available options.

I dont have the pedal in hand, all I had to go on is "yo man, I just snapped off the white twisty clicky pot on my stereo memory man, is that something you could fix?"  :icon_rolleyes: but it is indeed the "Hazarai" control and its well and truely snapped at the shaft.

slashandburn

As an aside, that's a three pin one Patrick! Just twisty, pretty sure the one I want is clicky and twisty?

Ice-9

Quote from: slashandburn on December 23, 2020, 04:05:20 PM
As an aside, that's a three pin one Patrick! Just twisty, pretty sure the one I want is clicky and twisty?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mechanical-rotary-encoders/7816830/
This one has a push switch (clicky?) ie. 3 pins encoder + 2 pins push switch.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

ElectricDruid

If it's "clicky", I'd say you want one "with detents". Some of them have click positions as you twist them, some don't. Sometimes the click positions line up with the pulses, sometimes they line up with some sub-multiple of the pulses (so you might get 24 pulses with 12 detents, for example).
If it was for selecting programs, I'd want one that had one click per program, click, new program, click, new program, etc etc. How many pulses that represents depends on the firmware (largely) so you might need some more information to be sure.

HTH,
Tom

Ice-9

The OP description is "clicky and Twisty", not the best description but  I take that as Clicky = press switch and twisty = rotation. I have looked up the memory man and the right most control does have decals labelled 'Push preset' and 'Hazarai' so I would be confident it is a 5 pin device with 3 pins for encoder and 2 pins for switch.  The one from RS I have linked to should work but check the knob mounting type (knurled- d shaft etc.) an internal picture of the pedal would confirm the type.

Don't like RS Components then there are thousands on ebay, eg.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Rotary-Encoder-Splined-Push-Switch-EC11-5-pin-digital-15mm-potentiometer-UK/363187104975?hash=item548fa36ccf:g:R28AAOSwh8NftuMI

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

slashandburn

Detents and pulses were numbers I wasn't expecting. Cheers though guys. Every day is a school day!

I think you're both right, he's since sent over photos that confirm it's 5 pin (and knurled/splined shaft).

>> detents.....sometimes they line up with some sub-multiple of the pulses (so you might get 24 pulses with 12 detents, for example)

Oh jesus @#$% kill me now. Another lesson learned the hard way! Think I need to get the pedal from him before I put in an order in just to be sure. And double my rate from "a few beers" to a keg.

I dont hate mean to hate on RS I'm just in a huff with them, us hobbyists clearly aren't their target market and they've made that abundantly clear.

anotherjim

Bitsbox have a range...
https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=302_304
They're listed under Sensors and transducers sub-page Position, which is not the first place I'd look in. I'd expect them to be under Switches. I suppose they are "position encoders" but so is a pot!

slashandburn

Nice one, thanks Jim!

I read somewhere else that the Memory Man encoder has "360 degrees rotation divided by 20 steps" so I'll take a punt on the 20 pulse version rather than the 24 and see how it goes.  For the sake of an extra £1.50 the wise move would probably to buy one of each but where's the fun in that

Ice-9

Quote from: slashandburn on December 26, 2020, 08:23:29 AM
Nice one, thanks Jim!

I read somewhere else that the Memory Man encoder has "360 degrees rotation divided by 20 steps" so I'll take a punt on the 20 pulse version rather than the 24 and see how it goes.  For the sake of an extra £1.50 the wise move would probably to buy one of each but where's the fun in that
Well the fun in that would be the postage cost, in that if you get both at the same time you could consider the second one free, as the postage alone from bitsbox will cost more than the part. :)
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

slashandburn

For future reference, if anyone is in the same boat it's 5 pin and 20 step/20 pulse.

I can't comment on the detents as the part I bought from bitbox didn't specify but it's working and with no complaints using their 20 step "with push switch" rotary encoder.

The 15mm (splined) shaft was a little longer than then the original but plenty breathing room inside the original knob.