Love Squeeze distortion

Started by mark2, January 11, 2021, 12:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark2

I built a Rothwell Love squeeze a long while back using the storyboardist layout, and have been happily using it and it works great.

It gets a bit of  distortion on the lowest compression setting, but otherwise is mostly clean.

I recently, not being able to leave well enough alone, decided to build a new smaller one with my own layout and it works but I get a quiet, sputtery distortion.

The two obvious things that changed between these two builds is
1. different PCB layout
2. SMD 2n5457s on this new build.

This other thread on the topic noted differences in 5457s, and somebody suggested trying to increase R13.
So I blindly tried 220 (still distorted), then 1k instead of 22R and it's sounding mostly the same as my original unit.

i.e. pretty clean, then distorted at low compression settings.

Obviously I can keep experimenting with R13 and see if it gets better, but does anyone have tips for trying to better understand what's going on and reduce the distortion in a less blind-trial-and-error way?

iainpunk

have you tried taking out the LED's? they are in the circuit specifically to ADD distortion to the overall character.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

mark2

Quote from: iainpunk on January 11, 2021, 10:04:57 AM
have you tried taking out the LED's? they are in the circuit specifically to ADD distortion to the overall character.

Not yet but I will certain try that and report back.

I still notice a marked difference between the 22R and 1k on R13, and wondering if anyone can point to a topic to research to better understand what's going on.

mark2

Excellent! Thank you both. This gives me a lot to dig into.