Quick Q about circuit splitting

Started by Andyhannaman, January 04, 2021, 06:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andyhannaman

In part of a pedal design, I am using an SPDT toggle after FX1 to either use FX2 or FX3. After these two circuits (essentially layed out in parallel, but one one used at a time), do problems arise when recombining? Even though the FX not activated is out of the circuit, does the signal seeing the back end of this "off" circuit pose issues?  I imagine one way to solve this if so is to just use a DPDT and route the input and output of each circuit through it to fully isolate, but if this isn't necessary that would be good to know.  Bad hand drawings included.

idy

You would hear any noise from the unused circuit. *Maybe* if you grounded the unused input that would be *maybe* better, but that requires another switch pole anyway, so second sketch is a good deal safer.

This leaves aside the literal reading of your question, whether the unused circuit would load the output of the one being used. It might, depends on the circuits being proposed. Volume control that isn't buffered would be an obvious culprit. Either way it's not something worth taking a chance on.

Andyhannaman

That's what I figured, and now thinking of it there is an unbuffered volume right at the output of one of the circuits (one knob fuzz). Will definitely do the second the be safe. Thanks for the input!

FiveseveN

The simplest way would be to switch the output instead of the input.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

antonis

Quote from: FiveseveN on January 05, 2021, 05:02:36 AM
The simplest way would be to switch the output instead of the input.

Not so simple 'cause a splitter right after FX1 should be needed..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

FiveseveN

As I understood it, the one with the "unbuffered volume" is either FX2 or FX3, so I assumed FX1 could drive both of them.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?