Boss RC 3 mod / RC 2 mod - onboard stop switch

Started by Lameller, October 31, 2016, 05:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lameller

Hi

I am adding an onboard extra footswitch to use to stop my loops instead of using an external Boss FSU5.
like this but for my RC3:
http://www.mongchacha.com/?p=485

I have located the correct input jack to solder to, but I dont know to which points I need to solder the new switch to. I am using a normally closed momentary switch with two lugs.

Tried this based on a tap tempo for a DD7 i found on the web. But it doesn't seem to work... I know that the input jack says input A, but it is for the external footswitch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8ntn7bpveax9he/Sk%C3%A6rmbillede%202016-10-31%20kl.%2022.03.26.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/odbmmvr2p68bb9n/Sk%C3%A6rmbillede%202016-10-31%20kl.%2022.03.33.png?dl=0

What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

slacker

I guessing that one lug of the switch goes to the connection that you have the black wire attached to and the other lug goes to one of the other connections, one will be stop and one will be tap tempo. You might need to put the board back in the pedal before it will work because the ground connection might be being made by the jack sockets being bolted to the case.

I've got an RC2 so if you can't get it to work let me know and I'll have a go.

Lameller

Thankyou so much!

I will try and put the board back in the pedal to test it again. I think that might solve the problem!

Best regards

Lameller

Lameller

Just for further reference: I managed to mod the RC-3 with an onboard stop switch like people have done on the RC-2 before. In order for this to work, you need a Normally closed momentary footswitch. Sometimes that is also referred to as an on (off) footswitch. Where on means that the circuit is closed and when you step on the switch the circuit is broken or off. If you use the wrong kind of switch, the loop will stop when you press the footswitch, but i will also be erased. By using the right switch you can turn a loop on and off as you please. The switch I used looks like this:

You only need to drill a hole through the top part of the pedal - no need to drill into the enclosure. If you position the switch as I did it will just fit into the battery compartment (just cut the battery wires - you don't need them)

Pull out the part with the input A and Ext. markings and wire it as shown here:

The black and red wires are each soldered to a lug on the footswitch (doesn't mater which one). The blue wire is soldered between the two points to somehow make it work (found it on the web - don't know why; it just works :icon_razz:)

You need to put the pedal back together for this to work as the input jacks somehow need a connection to the chassis for the switch to work. You don't need to plug anything into the ext. jack input for the switch to work.

The finished modded pedal looks like this:

Been looking all over for a guide for this - and thought I would share, now that I finally got it to work.

Enjoy :icon_biggrin:

slacker