Please read the forum rules

Started by aron, January 09, 2021, 10:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garcho

QuoteI m sorry garcho. It was a bad attempt to make a joke.

^ No, it was a successful attempt, I'm just a little thick in the scull, ha! Sorry, to snap at you Rennes. Growing up in the States you hear a lot of people calling each other "communist", basically like calling someone a "dum dum head" or some other childish thing. And in these times, who knows what insanity people actually believe?! I appreciate your sense of humor, I'm the same. Sarcasm is hard to discern with text only, but I should have known better! Cheers, homey ;D

Quotesome sort of pizza art

did I say lamp from Morocco? Because I meant to say pizza art!

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Fender3D

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 11, 2021, 10:23:37 AM
...I can't recall ever seeing one.

Those are the invisibles avatars, Mark  ;D
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

stallik

Mark, have a look at your account settings in  'look and feel' there's a check button to show/hide avatars
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

davent

Quote from: stallik on January 11, 2021, 11:05:09 AM
Mark, have a look at your account settings in  'look and feel' there's a check button to show/hide avatars

I see many other avatars but where Gary's/garcho's would be, there's a avatar sized square outline with a very small image icon in the top left corner, has not always been the case.

Looking through this thread and same thing has happened to bluebunny's avatar space.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

garcho

how about now?

if you don't get the reference you haven't spent enough time on the Burst Box thread  ;D

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Fancy Lime

Quote from: davent on January 11, 2021, 11:49:11 AM

I see many other avatars but where Gary's/garcho's would be, there's a avatar sized square outline with a very small image icon in the top left corner, has not always been the case.

Looking through this thread and same thing has happened to bluebunny's avatar space.
dave
Same for me.
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

deadastronaut

i see them all....using opera browser / pc
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Mark Hammer

I have "account settings"?  :o :icon_confused: News to me.
What am I missing by not having done whatever reveals avatars?  (Bear in mind you're talking to someone who never has, and never will, own a cellphone, because there is nothing of any particular use for me on them.  I recently got a new MP3 player after my previous one died, and 2/3 of what's on that is of no earthly use.)

So, again, what would I be missing by not monkeying around with my account settings?

davent

Quote from: garcho on January 11, 2021, 12:09:46 PM
how about now?

if you don't get the reference you haven't spent enough time on the Burst Box thread  ;D

That one shows up.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Fancy Lime

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 11, 2021, 12:14:07 PM
What am I missing by not having done whatever reveals avatars?  (Bear in mind you're talking to someone who never has, and never will, own a cellphone, because there is nothing of any particular use for me on them.  I recently got a new MP3 player after my previous one died, and 2/3 of what's on that is of no earthly use.)

So, again, what would I be missing by not monkeying around with my account settings?
For the most part I share your views on that topic. However, avatars provide a visual cue that humans can decipher quicker than a written name. Not a critical feature by any means but that's the reason why I have an avatar.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

Fancy Lime

Quote from: davent on January 11, 2021, 12:16:41 PM
Quote from: garcho on January 11, 2021, 12:09:46 PM
how about now?

That one shows up.
dave
For me too.

Also, am I the only one who sees half of a grinning, red-bearded face with aviator shades in davent's avatar?

Andy

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Fancy Lime on January 11, 2021, 12:27:13 PM

For the most part I share your views on that topic. However, avatars provide a visual cue that humans can decipher quicker than a written name. Not a critical feature by any means but that's the reason why I have an avatar.

Andy
Hmm, I looked at the account settings in my profile, and basically all I see are some options regarding passwords, and my e-mail address.  Nothing that seems germane to avatars or anything beyond passwords.

eh la bas ma

davent's avatar's thread : I see a big opened mouth with white front teeth in the top left corner. the rest of the picture seems to be a dirty floor with a red lighting.
Mark, have a look at your account settings in  ‘look and feel’ there’s a check button to show/hide avatars

I'd say these features allow you to appropriate the forum, and give some human warmth to this forum. I like the little sentences people can add under their posts (called "signature"). Unfortunatly, Mark doesn't have this... it's all in "profile" and then "forum profile".
"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

Fancy Lime

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 11, 2021, 02:05:55 PM
Quote from: Fancy Lime on January 11, 2021, 12:27:13 PM
Mark, have a look at your account settings in  ‘look and feel’ there’s a check button to show/hide avatars

Andy
Hmm, I looked at the account settings in my profile, and basically all I see are some options regarding passwords, and my e-mail address.  Nothing that seems germane to avatars or anything beyond passwords.
Go to these account settings. Right above the horizontal bar titled Profile, there should be a button "Modify Profile". Hover the mouse over it and then click on the item "Look and Layout" that should appear. There are lots of options for me. I'm not familiar with the technical underpinnings of this forum. It is possible that your account is lacking these options altogether because it was created before the options existed. More likely, though, you have the options but they are turned off because they did not exist when the account was created. If there is a tick-box option "Don't show user's avatars", uncheck it and you should see the avatars. You may need to log off and on again for the change to take effect, I don't know.

HTH,
Andy

Edit: Oh, and you may also want to turn on user's signatures, there are some fun ones and some with interesting links in them.

Edit2: If you go to "Modify Profile" again and choose "Forum Profile" from the hover-over drop-down menu, you can link your own avatar file and signature text.

Mark Hammer

Okay, went there, and the only thing I thought worth modifying was removing the link to the website I used to have, courtesy of AMPAGE.  I don't think the link is valid anymore, so no point keeping it.  Don't see much point in avatars or signatures for myself.  So, I'm good.  But thanks for the info.

It's weird when there's this whole other world visible to others that you didn't even know existed.  I feel like Roddy Piper in the film "They Live". when he puts on the glasses.

davent

[
Quote from: Fancy Lime on January 11, 2021, 01:58:32 PM
Quote from: davent on January 11, 2021, 12:16:41 PM

That one shows up.
dave
For me too.

Also, am I the only one who sees half of a grinning, red-bearded face with aviator shades in davent's avatar?

Andy

Quote from: eh là bas ma on January 11, 2021, 02:08:56 PM
davent's avatar's thread : I see a big opened mouth with white front teeth in the top left corner. the rest of the picture seems to be a dirty floor with a red lighting.

Took some digging, tens of thousands sorted by... October 31, 2016.

dave

stallik

If you want to examine an avatar in a little more detail, just zoom in. (CTL+, pinch etc) works better if the image is hosted elsewhere as they can be bigger than those allowed for embedding in the forum
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: davent on January 11, 2021, 11:49:11 AM
The same happens here for Iain's avatar. Garcho's is visible here.

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 11, 2021, 02:53:03 PM
Okay, went there, and the only thing I thought worth modifying was removing the link to the website I used to have, courtesy of AMPAGE.  I don't think the link is valid anymore, so no point keeping it.
I just checked and it is still valid. I remember it went down a few times (probably the whole ampage server went down on those times), but right now it's still active.

Quote from: rankot on January 10, 2021, 08:44:51 AM
However, what is this word SUPPORTER I see under my posts?
I'm also curious on that. I saw it on a few users' posts.

bluebunny

If your browser blocks "non-secure" resources, then you might not see my bunny pic.  It's at the end of a plain ol' http:// connection, and always has been (same as all my pedal pix).
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

bluebunny

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on January 11, 2021, 04:08:31 PM
Quote from: rankot on January 10, 2021, 08:44:51 AM
However, what is this word SUPPORTER I see under my posts?
I'm also curious on that. I saw it on a few users' posts.

I believe it indicates where Aron has been able to identify those who have (recently) chucked a few pennies in his direction for the upkeep of the forum.  Perhaps a more muted indicator in the userid/avatar section might be more suitable, amongst the tiny profile/website/PM icons?
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...