Please read the forum rules

Started by aron, January 09, 2021, 10:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fancy Lime

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 13, 2021, 09:25:36 AM
Quote from: ElectricDruid on January 12, 2021, 06:49:57 PM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 12, 2021, 01:28:59 PM
I appreciate your motivation, Andy.  But I think I'll stick with plain vanilla civil-but-witty posts.  It's what got me here.  Should probably be good for a few thousand more.

Sounds like a challenge! Let's bombard Mark with such civil-but-witty avatars that he can't possibly fail to be charmed by one and decide that it should be the new visual clue to Hammer-wisdom on DIYSB! ;)
I'm always open to civil and witty charm, but I'd have to see them, Tom.  And I haven't enabled that
You may see our avatars, Mark, but I think what Tom meant was that we make suggestions for YOUR new avatar until you are either so charmed by one that you decide to adopt it or so annoyed by us that you will surrender to our civil-but-relentless pestering 8)

If I may do the honors:

And the signature that obviously goes with that:
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum.

Cheers,
Andy

P.s.: Tom, your turn!
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

garcho

Here's a song I wrote for a band called Mucca Pazza I used to be in. This is a pretty bad live recording we made but a fun video. It's called "...All Out Of Bubblegum", and now you know why ;D

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

iainpunk

but I'd have to see them, Tom.  And I haven't enabled that
if you don't want to see avatars that's owkay, but that's no reason to not have one for others to see.

i'd like to submit this suggestion

get it? Big mark hammer, a bic marker and a hammer.... yeah, i'll see myself out

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

rockola

Quote from: iainpunk on January 13, 2021, 06:45:36 PM
if you don't want to see avatars that's owkay, but that's no reason to not have one for others to see.

get it? Big mark hammer, a bic marker and a hammer.... yeah, i'll see myself out

If not that, then maybe this?

Rob Strand

Quoteget it? Big mark hammer, a bic marker and a hammer.... yeah, i'll see myself out
Marker Hammer sounds Italian.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Fancy Lime

Quote from: rockola on January 14, 2021, 12:44:02 AM
Quote from: iainpunk on January 13, 2021, 06:45:36 PM

If not that, then maybe this?

Well, it's Hammer Time somewhere.

I was wondering how long it would take for MC Hammer to be proposed. Third entry. I think it's save to say that we, as a community, are not afraid of a cheap pun ;D

Cheers,
Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

Mark Hammer

When I used to have a university office, invariably some student who thought they were the first in history to have the thought would insist on inscribing a C between the "M" and "Hammer" on the door sign.  I don't know if I feel worse for the person who wrote that, or for those who came after them with that intent and realized, to their dismay, that it was not their original idea.

ElectricDruid

Do you have a middle initial, out of interest? Presumably it's not "C".

bluebunny

Quote from: ElectricDruid on January 14, 2021, 08:33:22 AM

Please please please please please let it be true!   :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Marcos - Munky

Mark indeed have a middle initial, we have the same first and middle name (Mark's is the english variation while mine's the latin variation). But sorry to say it isn't "C" :icon_cry:

Mark Hammer

Yes, and NO, in that order.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 14, 2021, 04:08:21 PM

lol, awww, it was so close. Nearly so close. Close-ish. Ok, not very close. Still, Bunny and I got to dream for a little while.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: ElectricDruid on January 14, 2021, 06:12:51 PM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 14, 2021, 04:08:21 PM

lol, awww, it was so close. Nearly so close. Close-ish. Ok, not very close. Still, Bunny and I got to dream for a little while.
My parents were concerned with avoiding contemporaneous sources of "heh, heh, heh" remarks.  The apocryphal story was that I was supposed to be Michael, but a nurse or someone in the hospital made a remark about the Micky Spillane character "Mike Hammer", that was gaining popularity at the time, and my parents thought better of it, so I became Mark.

When our youngest was born, we gave him two middle names, but hadn't decided on the order.  When it came time for me to fill out the birth registration form at the hospital, I thought about it and realized that one order would give him the initials BZT and the other order would give him BTZ.  Considering that no teenage or pre-teen boy would wish to be saddled with initials that could be pronounced as "butts" by his classmates, I went with the first order.

Names and initials are subject to all sorts of whims and snap decisions.  But enough about me  Please read the forum rules.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 14, 2021, 08:53:05 PM
But enough about me  Please read the forum rules.

Lol, read 'em. You're so much more interesting!

Great story about the initials too. I totally agree that Buzz't is way cooler than Buttz.

My sister was almost "NEW", but my parents realised at the last minute that "ENW" was a better bet, so her first and middle names got swapped around. It's funny how such apparently consequential decision get made...

Marcos - Munky

Here in Brazil there's a music style called música popular brasileira (brazilian popular music), which is abbreviated as MPB. It's basically bossa nova, and it's a kind of "boring music for old people" in kids' eyes but great music once you grow up and learn how to listen to nice stuff. Kinda similar to how a kid and a grown person sees jazz.

My initials are MPB. It just took a (very intelectual and smart) teacher to point this out in front of the entire class when I was 9 or 10, and I had to take stupid jokes on this for some time.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: ElectricDruid on January 15, 2021, 08:18:35 PM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 14, 2021, 08:53:05 PM
But enough about me  Please read the forum rules.

Lol, read 'em. You're so much more interesting!

Great story about the initials too. I totally agree that Buzz't is way cooler than Buttz.

My sister was almost "NEW", but my parents realised at the last minute that "ENW" was a better bet, so her first and middle names got swapped around. It's funny how such apparently consequential decision get made...

Our older son's initials are JAH.  If he ever takes a trip to Jamaica, he's in for quite a welcome.

iainpunk

Our older son's initials are JAH.  If he ever takes a trip to Jamaica, he's in for quite a welcome.
or even to a church, Jah is short for Yahweh (Jesus)
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

garcho

hahahaha, yahweh is not jesus  ;D

EDIT: I'm not trying to mean, I just thought it was a funny mistake! I'm an atheist, not making any judgement, ba da boom!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Fancy Lime

C'mon guys, it's right in the thread title.

iainpunk

Quote from: garcho on January 16, 2021, 03:45:11 PM
hahahaha, yahweh is not jesus  ;D

EDIT: I'm not trying to mean, I just thought it was a funny mistake! I'm an atheist, not making any judgement, ba da boom!
isn't it? owyeah, its god's name, nevermind, t much of the devils lettuce tonight.

cheers, Iain

cheers