Question about a TL072 Soft Clip Circuit

Started by CrapGarbage, January 18, 2021, 11:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrapGarbage

I am doing a schematic of the BBE AM64. This is a really cheap drive pedal that I've modified a bit over the years, but never fully chased out the schematic. After solving a dumb issue, this pedal seems to have the first op amp stage with the gain control on it, with the clipping on the second stage. Are there any other pedals based around that topology? Searching for what this may be based on, I haven't found any like it and was wondering where this may have come from.

iainpunk

do you have a scematic?
the Marshall Blues Breaker (and to a lesser extent the Marshall Guv'nor) have a gain control on the first gain stage and clipping on the second.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

CrapGarbage

I'm putting a schematic together right now. I'll take a look at those and compare.

antonis

Quote from: iainpunk on January 18, 2021, 02:00:57 PM
the Marshall Blues Breaker (and to a lesser extent the Marshall Guv'nor) have a gain control on the first gain stage

Strictly speaking, Gain is variable on both stages.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

iainpunk

Quote from: antonis on January 18, 2021, 03:19:28 PM
the Marshall Blues Breaker (and to a lesser extent the Marshall Guv'nor) have a gain control on the first gain stage

i know, but i suspect CrapGarbage isn't super experienced, and i used to think that it wasn't for a super long time, so if he gathered that from the circuit i wouldn't blame him.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

CrapGarbage

Quote from: iainpunk on January 18, 2021, 06:15:01 PM
Quote from: antonis on January 18, 2021, 03:19:28 PM

i know, but i suspect CrapGarbage isn't super experienced, and i used to think that it wasn't for a super long time, so if he gathered that from the circuit i wouldn't blame him.

cheers, Iain
I'm an EE but I haven't studied a ton of pedal circuits thus far. I'm mostly up on the 808 and Klon. All of the electrical stuff makes sense, but I'm putting this schematic together with a shitty multimeter with leads that my pets had the courtesy to chew off. So I'm not going as fast as I'd like.