Strange Sounds from Boss Tr-2

Started by Minimum_Voice, January 23, 2021, 10:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minimum_Voice

Hello, I'm looking for some help with my Boss TR-2 Tremolo.

I recently purchased the pedal new and it has been working perfectly up until now.
However, unfortunately the pedal has begun malfunctioning and is making strange noises :
When the tremolo effect is turned on there is a strange 'ticking'/'clicking' noise coming from the amplifier, no signal from the guitar is heard. The ticking changes in speed according to the 'Rate' knob and is more pronounced when the 'Depth' knob is increased.

With the tremolo effect turned off the signal from the guitar can be heard but is distorted and slightly lower in volume. Upon listening closer I've noticed that a very faint tremolo effect can be heard (with the effect off...) that changes with the control knobs.
The guitar and amp work fine when the pedal is not in the chain.

I've done some basic troubleshooting such as testing with different cables/amp but to no avail. I should add that I am using a 9V battery to power to pedal.

I was going to do some testing with a multimeter but don't know where to start or what to do. All help is much appreciated.

Here are some photos of the wiring on the inside of the Tr-2 :

Fender3D

Quote from: Minimum_Voice on January 23, 2021, 10:45:44 AM
I recently purchased the pedal new ...

Can't you send it back in warranty?
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

iainpunk

didn't you post another thread?

i suspected the capacitors, but they look alright.

i don't think BOSS has a warranty seal so i'd send it back for warranty.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

PRR

I see dubious solder joints. They may work when shiny-new and fail when tarnish sets in.
  • SUPPORTER