Converting 2 button footswitch for use with fender.

Started by jimbomcmucka, January 22, 2021, 08:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbomcmucka

Hi guys.

I have a question, I'm hoping you can help with.

I have a fender Blues Deluxe amp, which didn't come with a footswitch. It can take a 2 button switch to change the channel and to turn the reverb on/off. I stupidly thought that a standard 2 button would work, but that only changes the channel. After a bit of reading up, I realised that it's not a standard ring/tip configuration.

My question, does anybody have a wiring diagram for the fender 2 button switch? I was hoping to convert my standard footswitch, rather than shell out a fortune on a fender one.

I have found a diagram for the Hot Rod Deluxe, but wasn't sure if that would be the same, as it seems to change different functions.

Any advice is greatly received!

Kevin Mitchell

Since I had easily found the schematic, I'm guessing you'd like a wiring diagram alone?
I can draw one up for you. Take a photo of the inside of your foot switch box so I can use the correct switches. They only need to be SPST but I don't know what you're working with.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

GGBB

Welcome to the forum.

I think Fender mostly uses a mono tip-sleeve connection for 2-button footswitches. The official Fender amp service manuals/schematics I've seen include the footswitch circuit - so that's what you should look for. They are not all the same (although many are) so you should find the one for the Blues Deluxe.

Here's the 2004 reissue manual: https://irationaudio.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/fender-bluesdeluxe_reissue_2004_schematic_rev-a-1.jpg.

But maybe you want a wiring diagram like Kevin said.
  • SUPPORTER

jimbomcmucka

Hi guys

Thanks so much for the responses and offer of drawing up a wiring diagram! - very kind. Based on the schematic posted, I think I should be good - it seems pretty simple (famous last words!).

I have attached an image to the current footswitch.  From my (limited) understanding of the schematic, I will be wiring the middle lug to the led then the diode (directional), then to the 'tip' wire of the cable / add a jack socket and wire to the tip lug of that.

Am I on the right lines?

Thanks again!

GGBB

Quote from: jimbomcmucka on January 26, 2021, 04:49:33 AM
From my (limited) understanding of the schematic, I will be wiring the middle lug to the led then the diode (directional), then to the 'tip' wire of the cable / add a jack socket and wire to the tip lug of that.

Right. You also need to connect the socket sleeve lug and the other (not middle) switch lugs. That's already partly done with the black wires - just the socket connection needs to be made.
  • SUPPORTER

jimbomcmucka

Ah yes, forgot to mention that point!

Thanks again for your help!
J