So, are we thinking about the Raspberry Pi Pico yet?

Started by Mark Hammer, January 22, 2021, 10:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

Sooner Boomer

Looks interesting. Has enough on-board RAM to write a decent program. Right now, you'll have to come up with your own wiring scheme to adapt to periphrals. No breakout boards or "hats" available yet. SPI or I2C would be the way to go. Lots of choices as to A/D, D/A, and any sort of display/control. The price is definitely cheap enough.
Dan of  ̶9̶  only 5 Toes
I'm not getting older, I'm getting "vintage"

GuitarPhil

potul

ah, interesting. When I first saw it I thought, "another small Linux mini computer", but I see it's more a competitor for Arduinos and microcontrollers.... I might give it a try for a project if the development environment is friendly.

I see it has USB Host included, interesting....

Blackaddr

A Cortex M0+ is pretty good for MIDI and control, but for any serious audio processing I think you still want at least an M4F to get the FPU.
Blackaddr Audio
Digital Modelling Enthusiast
www.blackaddr.com

Mark Hammer

Three 12-bit A/D input and 16 PWM outputs could make for an interesting programmable effect with more presets than one might ever need.

Just imagine a germanium Fuzz Face whose biasing is automatically adjusted on the basis of temperature sensing.

slashandburn

I've got a few older models kicking around the house and had quite a lot of fun with them for non-guitar purposes. I was under the impression the main thing holding them back from audio use in this realm was the a/d/a converters?

Is this a new dawn?

pruttelherrie

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 22, 2021, 04:54:37 PM
Just imagine a germanium Fuzz Face whose biasing is automatically adjusted on the basis of temperature sensing.

That's what they already are, by design :)

Mark Hammer

My understanding was that they were temperamental because of temperature sensitivity.  But that's a whole other thread that should be located elsewhere.

I know that Joel Korte uses PICs for the Chase Bliss pedals, and he told me which PICs he prefers some time back, because of the number of PWM outputs that they provide.  The Pico looks like it might afford the same sort of capabilities.

niektb

What's the power consumption on that thing? Might be a bit hungry for a guitar pedal no?

manuelreichel

Quote from: niektb on January 23, 2021, 11:23:53 AM
What's the power consumption on that thing? Might be a bit hungry for a guitar pedal no?

Actually not that much. I've read something about 90mA power consumption rendering video. Around 2mA on sleep mode.

garcho

I've been thinking about it, but that's about all I've done, because when I heard about them, they were and continue to be out of stock. Anyone actually get their hands on one? I just want an excuse to fool with Circuit Python on the cheap. I have some $5 Seeduino XIAOs stashed away I haven't looked at yet, the list grows on and on...

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Mark Hammer

I ordered three last Friday and received them this past Monday.  Gotta stop watching Youtubes and start reading more about Thonny and Micropython.

garcho

Maybe they're in stock in Canada? Still none available here, either out of stock, or pre-order with no date.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"