Horizon Device Precision Drive - schematic

Started by Bertaxtz92, January 22, 2021, 04:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bertaxtz92

Hi Guys!
Do you have the schematic of the Horizon Device Precision Drive - schematic?
It should be based on a TS with a 6 way rotary switch that changes the values of the cap in the feedback loop... I'd like to check values and check if there are any difference in the tone control.

Regards,
Alessio

PRR

OIC. Google (actually a key DNS) IS not working tonite.
[ https://pcbguitarmania.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Collision-Drive-Building-Docs.pdf Server Not Found; but it was clearly found recently.)

Peep this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPKYY5ejMEs

Here's a peep-grab:

This rendition shows an 8-way switch. The key concept would be the spread of values (153pFd to 590pFd); then you pick a multiplier to get each one from the last. Since this is a low-order filter, 30% "off" is unimportant.
  • SUPPORTER

Fancy Lime

I read the values as 33.12nF to 470.12nF. I don't know what the purpose of that 120pF cap might be. Also, the chosen value distribution of the caps is somewhat odd. Some fairly big and some tiny jumps. I'd recommend choosing sensible end points and then aiming for an even spread (insofar as standard values permit) on a log scale in between. Like 10n, 22n, 47n, 100n, 220n, 470n, and so on.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

Bertaxtz92

Quote from: PRR on January 22, 2021, 11:34:14 PM
OIC. Google (actually a key DNS) IS not working tonite.
[ https://pcbguitarmania.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Collision-Drive-Building-Docs.pdf Server Not Found; but it was clearly found recently.)

Peep this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPKYY5ejMEs

Here's a peep-grab:

This rendition shows an 8-way switch. The key concept would be the spread of values (153pFd to 590pFd); then you pick a multiplier to get each one from the last. Since this is a low-order filter, 30% "off" is unimportant.

so it's really a f**king TS with four component changed to sound more tight for djent stuff?!

Quote from: Fancy Lime on January 23, 2021, 12:57:43 AM
I read the values as 33.12nF to 470.12nF. I don't know what the purpose of that 120pF cap might be. Also, the chosen value distribution of the caps is somewhat odd. Some fairly big and some tiny jumps. I'd recommend choosing sensible end points and then aiming for an even spread (insofar as standard values permit) on a log scale in between. Like 10n, 22n, 47n, 100n, 220n, 470n, and so on.

Andy

thanks Andy good tip!

any idea of the noise gate used?

Regards,
Alessio

any idea of the

PRR

• SUPPORTER

FiveseveN

Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

Invertiguy

As others have said, yes it really is just a Tube Screamer with an added rotary switch to choose between different capacitors in the feedback loop. That doesn't make it bad, it's a nice feature to have and the circuit certainly does what it's intended to do (tighten up a high gain amp to make it djent properly), but it's definitely not as special as the hype or the marketing would have you believe either.

As for the noise gate, I haven't seen the circuit but there's no reason to believe it's anything particularly special either. It too does it's job but is limited in utility since it only gates the pedal itself and anything before it, which given the typical position of an overdrive pedal in a signal chain usually isn't much. You'll get much better results using a separate gate with a loop so you can gate your entire signal chain.

Bertaxtz92

Quote from: Invertiguy on January 25, 2021, 07:03:01 AM
As others have said, yes it really is just a Tube Screamer with an added rotary switch to choose between different capacitors in the feedback loop. That doesn't make it bad, it's a nice feature to have and the circuit certainly does what it's intended to do (tighten up a high gain amp to make it djent properly), but it's definitely not as special as the hype or the marketing would have you believe either.

As for the noise gate, I haven't seen the circuit but there's no reason to believe it's anything particularly special either. It too does it's job but is limited in utility since it only gates the pedal itself and anything before it, which given the typical position of an overdrive pedal in a signal chain usually isn't much. You'll get much better results using a separate gate with a loop so you can gate your entire signal chain.

yes exactly  what i was writing... I was very curious to see the circuit because they say it's a totally new design but at the end, our beloved TS still do the dirty job.

Thank You All for the answers!

Regards, Alessio

Fancy Lime

I sorta doubt the usefulness of six or eight different caps to choose from. I have experimented with this kind of thing extensively and found that two or three well chosen values can be useful anything more is mostly a gimmick or marketing.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

iainpunk

tbh, i think a rotary isn't worth the cost here.

if you use the biggest cap available in the feedback loop, you can just throw a pot and capacitor in front of the gain stage for use as a high-pass, with way more precision and definition than just 8 positions, since you have near-infinite in between positions.

just my $0.02

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers