Aion Spectron - bass mods?

Started by tuckster, September 02, 2022, 03:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuckster

Hi everyone,

I just finished the Aion Spectron and wanted to know if there are any mods for using this mice pedal with a bass?
I can barely make it quack. It's a bass with passive pu.
Sensitivity and Intensity have to be at 10 and Color must be cranked too.
Thanks,
Tuck
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Are you sure the pedal is working correctly? Have you tried it and had success playing a non-bass guitar through it?

My experience is that bass guitars tend to be louder signal-level-wise than ordinary guitars, so I'm surprised you're not getting something, hence the questions.

idy

Yes to what Druid said. This is a "meatball" circuit and "meat sphere" was an earlier "clone." There is a long thread about building the meat sphere, worth skimming over in all its....longwindedness.

Building the Meatsphere: https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=92894.0

Many have trod the path you are now on: The trigger doesn't quite go... or you need a booster.
Make sure you have the right opamp in the envelope section, and maybe bias it. The old recommendation of
make sure you are using the right LDRs.

What opamp are you using? Reputable dealer or generic? What kind of photocells? LEDs?

Make sure you understand what it does. The "bandwidth" has to be on "full," on "1/2" it doesn't hear bass well.

When set up correctly it quacks like a duck on "any" source.

And yes there are mods that are wonderful. But first get it quacking.

tuckster

I did not used a guitar because they are all locked up in the basement :-)
Will try in a few days.
I bought a kit with ,,5537 LDR07" LM358 for C2 and TL072 for C1/3.
It quacks bit only with extreme settings and very low in volume no matter if the blend is maxed on wet.

Ok I will read the Meatsphere thread, I did not because I thought Meatsphere!=Spectron.
  • SUPPORTER

idy

So a kit, from Aion? Then we can assume you have a good lm358. And those GL5537, they like, I find they work but are better with a little series resistance, but that is not your problem.

Check voltages. All three ICs, but mostly the 358. Post them here.

And I ask: When you are playing ad trying to trigger it, are the LEDs inside flashing? Or are they just dark until you hit the bass harder? ( I am guessing the latter.)

tuckster

The kit was ordered at my fav. pedal parts store https://www.musikding.de/Spectron-Dynamic-Filter-kit
I will check voltages and the leds. Unfortunately I'm not at home over the weekend..
  • SUPPORTER

TTANGO

I built this too.  When playing autowah (U said quack) you really have to dig into the string a lot more than your used too. 

tuckster

I can't dig that hard. The output of my bass sucks.
To solve this issue I put a booster in front of it and it quacks like Daisy Duck when Donld digs her :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER