"A" vs "B" pots

Started by 1wahfreak, October 18, 2003, 01:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1wahfreak

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a A100K pot and a B100K pot. Both are Alpha mini pots that I got from Mouser.

thanks
mike

phillip

On the alpha pots, "A" is audio taper, and "B" is linear taper.  

Wish there were more values available in those 16mm audio taper minipots.

Phillip

petemoore

At GEO...sectret life of pots'.
 Basically audio taper has a greater resistance change at one end of the travel. If you put a linear pot in where audio should be, you may notice that it does the same thing [100k's would both go from 0k-100k] but all the adjustment would be bunched up at one end of the pots travel instead of evenly changing the [vol or whatever] throughout the pots travel.
 hook a DMM to first aon audio [wiper and one other lug] then to the linear [wiper and one lug] watch how the resistance changes differently [quicker at one end] of the audio pot compared to the linear.
 A means audio taper
 B is linear taper
 Theres more different types of 'tapered' value pots...
 Writing brings STARQ ANALOGY once again!!!... I imagine Linear as a wedge [with two straight lines] and audio as a wedge with one curved line, the farther from the point [of a wedge] you draw a line that connects a wedges lines, the more resistance you have...Audio just tapers that change in resistance through it's travel [knob twist]
 I've used  wrong tapers before and it's just tricky sometimes to set the [gain?] knob...not too much trouble...or get the right one
Convention creates following, following creates convention.