Aion FX Luna Spacing Control

Started by Elvis Cocho, January 31, 2021, 03:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvis Cocho

Hello. I just built an Aion FX Luna Tremolo (Tremulus Lune clone). The build went off without any problems. I just wanted to see if someone could explain what the spacing control does; I've read a couple or so explanations but none that make intuitive sense to me.

I've read that it doesn't change the waveform but that changes the spacing between waves. That sounds to me like it's slowing or speeding up the frequency of the lfo. But that actually sounds more like a rate control.

Does anyone have any insight to this control? Also, what is the setting up that would be considered "normal"? I.e. as though the spacing control wasn't there?

antonis

From what I can see in various schematics, it alters both LFO and Buffer bias..
(asymmetrical amplitude waveform..)

Sorry but I can't translate it into "audio" result..

As for "normal" position, it should be considered 12 o'clock setting..
(250k +220k = 470k hence a 4.5V mid-point voltage divider..) 
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

iainpunk

the spacing control determines the DC offset of the LFO, having this higher sends a tad more current to the LED which in turn makes the LDR's resistance lower and the output volume higher. the LFO's actual wave shape isn't affected, but the effect on the volume is changed, so the perceived wave shape is changed (the on/off time is changed while the frequency stays the same)

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

nocentelli

https://mimmotronics.com/blog/talk-theory-to-me/tttm4/

detailed discussion of the tremulus lune circuit including section on the spacing control
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

Elvis Cocho

Thank you so much for the info! Very helpful