Capacitors (ROE / Nichicon)

Started by rangermaster, February 01, 2021, 05:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rangermaster

Hi.

I have some new capacitors laying around that i want to use in some new build stompboxes. Both brands are 47uF 25v (what i need for the build).

I have a couple capacitors from ROE(Gold serie roederstein) and some Nichicon FG(fine gold) series.

Which brand should be better and more reliable ? Which one do you prefer?
I'm not really into capacitors etc so that's why i'm asking it here.

Thanks again.

FiveseveN

Based on the value, I'm gonna go ahead and assume this cap's role is to filter a power supply. Why would you use selected-mojo-blend audio-grade virgin-polished caps for that?
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

rangermaster

why? because i have those in my working place.

why should i not use them ?

antonis

Quote from: rangermaster on February 01, 2021, 06:16:41 AM
why should i not use them ?

Because it should be a waste of money, perhaps..?? :icon_wink:

If you insist using them as reservoir caps, choose blindly any of them..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

rangermaster

i already paid for them years ago. i have them laying around so it should be a waist of money to buy new ones  ;)

But do you have experience with these brands? prefer one ?

GibsonGM

Quote from: rangermaster on February 01, 2021, 06:25:43 AM
But do you have experience with these brands? prefer one ?

Close your eyes, reach out and take one of them.  Then install it in your build.  :) 

You will never know the cap is even there, or think about it again. 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

rangermaster

iainpunk

the only pedal i can think of that benefits from a low ESR is the Harmonic Percolator and its derivatives.
cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

davent

Whichever one looks best/sexist, best compliments aesthetically the other components you've chosen for the build.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

rangermaster

Thanks for the replies all. I know enough.. i quess it doesn't matter in stompbox world what brands u use.

FiveseveN

I think you have it backwards: there is only one "world" that thinks "audio-grade" capacitors are a thing, everyone else is normal.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

tzdvl

Quote from: rangermaster on February 01, 2021, 05:32:38 AM
I have a couple capacitors from ROE(Gold serie roederstein) and some Nichicon FG(fine gold) series.

Which brand should be better and more reliable ?

I'm replying as a (now reformed :icon_mrgreen:) representative of the high-end audio, audiophile community...
Back in the 90s/early 2000s I was heavily into audio, DIY CD-player mods and high-end component building, Stereophile Magazine, etc. I even had an article published in Audio Amateur Magazine!
Then the idiotic "tweaks", $10,000 cables and $100,000 turntables took all the fun out of it, and SACD and digital, large-scale ICs, SMDs and lead-free solder made the DIY thing too much work for me.

Now I PLAY music, and no longer listen to Swedish live jazz recordings to see if I can hear the ringing telephone...  :icon_wink:

Anyway,
both of your caps are "high end", low-ESR caps, intended for use in high-resolution audio components, intended for "connoisseurs" of fine audio & video.   ::)

Either would be suitable and interchangeable for such use, and would work fine, and probably would be very reliable.

Whether or not your ears are acute enough, and "trained" well enough, to hear a difference, the average effects pedal, used with the average musicians' rig, would not be high-resolution enough to reveal a difference.

It would be like if you owned a late 90s flat-screen TV, and attached an older DVD player (non Blu-Ray), to watch an old DVD. I doubt you would see any difference if you replaced any of the caps in that DVD player with a premium version.

Now, if you owned a nice 120" 4K TV, and attached a 4K Blu-Ray player, THEN you MIGHT be able to see a difference, but most likely so if you were using good test media and equipment, and knew what to look for!

Basically, don't overthink this! I would go ahead and use your caps, if only for the reliability.

Or save for your next high-end audio preamp build...