Author Topic: Wood finish enclosures  (Read 40875 times)

duck_arse

Re: Wood finish enclosures
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2021, 10:04:46 AM »
nice IN label. also, extra point for the post joke.

was it much work? can we see the workings? wood I mean, I've seen phaser guts before.
"I'm your vehicle, baby", but go easy on the clutch.

"You've got a suss sus sus sus sus sus sus suspect device."

aleks_tedstone

« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2021, 10:50:20 AM »
The IN label was an accident, hopefully Mantic Effects are unlikely to hunt me down and sue me...

Unfortunately I don't have any photos/videos of the process, but everything is glued to a standard 1590B to make sure its all shielded and grounded. I think this project would be a lot more work without a table saw, as I used mine with the blade set to 45 degrees for the mitre edges. I still found it hard to get everything to mm accuracy, so some of the vertical joins are a bit gappy. Sanding took quite a while, as I don't have a router for the rounded edges.

Things I learned:
-Thin wood (2mm) is required to make sure all the hardware can still be screwed on, once its thickness is added to the metal case. I had to recess some of the hardware (jacks, potentiometer) which adds a lot of work, as my boards were more like 5mm.
-Letter punches are great
-Superglue is your friend until its not

duck_arse

« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2021, 09:42:52 AM »
yeah, except for the superglue, I pretty much repeat all those issues with every build. don't talk to me about sanding.

superglue < - > sillicone

the "in" is subtle enough that you need to look twice to see if, and then you can pass it as done on purpose.

[edit:] I use my router to thin the planks. double stick it in a channel and buzz them thin. then sand. and I usually sand rounded edges, cause the router is too big and difficult on those tiny thin panels. boy, the fingers I could cut w/ a table saw! [I've just been gifted a lectric scroll saw, haven't turned it on yet.]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 10:02:14 AM by duck_arse »

aleks_tedstone

« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2021, 10:26:04 AM »
I only recently got a table saw and I am being very careful with it... Just getting into the rabbit-hole of jigs, sleds, etc. I stick to old fashioned hand tools unless I am 100% sure I can do something safely with the saw. Router sounds like a good tactic in the absence of a planer/thicknesser (which I don't have either).

What kind of silicon adhesive do you use? That sounds like a very good idea with it being flexible and all... Superglue is a bit brittle for this purpose so I am banking on 3 of 5 panels being held on by the jacks, pots and switch nuts! Doubt it would survive a gig.

duck_arse

« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2021, 10:40:52 AM »
sillicone - I found a half size cartridge thing at bunnings, so I end up throwing out much less. I don't glue wood with it, just all the other stuff, like non-skids. pva all the way for the wood.