anybody gotta cookbook style "transistor as switch" suggestion?

Started by pinkjimiphoton, February 05, 2021, 10:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

i'm dicking around with adding a belton brick based reverb circuit to a tweed fender preamp emu. its in parallel with the preamp and sounds good, but i only want to switch the input of the reverb.. so when ya bypass it it "splashes". easy breezy.
but my brain dead silly hippy ass can't remember what to call what, lol...

i need to literally use a standard stomp switch to energize a transistor acting as a switch to make/break an audio connection to the input of the reverb part of the circuit, and @#$% me, but i can't remember proper keywords to look for for how best and simplest to do this.
google shows lots of info, but it assumes i can math, and as we all know, pink don't math. i math worse than i adult.
so i need something literally bonehead simple to shine a light to my tardfoundation with the lowest number of parts possible.

i ask too much, i know. but i love you long time <3 lol
i just need to make a daughter board to eliminate switch pop. the usual big ass resistors are not helping at all ;)

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

11-90-an

Well this was a quick sketch so sorry for bad image quality, clarity, etc.
Pretty much boss jfet switching, lol
I'm quite sure most JFETs will work.... (except J111, so i'm told..)

Adjust the cap below the jfet for how fast it switches..  hope that helps...:icon_mrgreen:
flip flop flip flop flip

anotherjim

You may be after a Muting circuit. BJT versions of them can be a bit complicated to get distortion & bleed free.
https://www.sound-au.com/articles/muting.html#s3

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: 11-90-an on February 05, 2021, 10:48:13 PM

Adjust the cap below the jfet for how fast it switches..  hope that helps...:icon_mrgreen:

perfect! i love you long time, joe. got any gum?
i will give it a shot. i've gotten rid of a lot of the noise with proper lead dress.... not having wires tacked to wires all over the place in a plastic box definitely helped... but this should be the icing on the cake, and shows exactly what i couldn't seem to wrap my hippy biscuit bwain around last nite.

will give it a go when i'm slightly less unconscio. thank you!!!!!!
i was looking completely at the wrong things i guess. its weird, back when i could focus on just dicking around all the time, it was easy. the last few years, my focus is mainly on pumping stuff out and i thiMk its making me dumber than normal, if possible.

rock on!   :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: anotherjim on February 06, 2021, 07:35:33 AM
You may be after a Muting circuit. BJT versions of them can be a bit complicated to get distortion & bleed free.
https://www.sound-au.com/articles/muting.html#s3

that's hip, jimmy, thanks bro! this was one of the things i was kinda trying to find , but i remembered it as like elliot sound productions or something like that. annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd i scroll to the top of the page, and sure enough, esp. like i said, brain death!!!!!!!!!!!!
i got some reading to do... thanks bro!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

worked out perfect, 2n5458 and a 560p cap seemed to do the trick. no more click. wunderbar! ;)
filed away under stuff that works lol
thank you!

dumb vero layout in case someone ever needs it
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

JP19

Any explanation of why a J111 won't work? I was trying to cobble together a switch just like your doodle in a 12v circuit and from the datasheet I thought J111 would be a good choice. I can't get it working though, which is what's brought me here..

I don't really know what I'm doing, but I figured the 'VGSoff' of -3v to -10v would be ideal if I'm biasing my audio to a 6V VREF. Is it some other characteristic of the J111 that means it won't work in this application? Or should it work fine in a 12v circuit (which would mean I'm making some other error I haven't found yet!)? Cheers

JP19

Quote from: JP19 on February 08, 2021, 10:27:36 AM

Any explanation of why a J111 won't work? I was trying to cobble together a switch just like your doodle in a 12v circuit and from the datasheet I thought J111 would be a good choice. I can't get it working though, which is what's brought me here..

I don't really know what I'm doing, but I figured the 'VGSoff' of -3v to -10v would be ideal if I'm biasing my audio to a 6V VREF. Is it some other characteristic of the J111 that means it won't work in this application? Or should it work fine in a 12v circuit (which would mean I'm making some other error I haven't found yet!)? Cheers

Aah ignore me, I think I may have figured it out myself. I was misunderstanding the datasheet. For some reason I thought that VGSoff of -3v to -10v meant I would only need -3v to shut it off and -10v was the maximum negative voltage it could take. I've just looked further up the datasheet and realised that it can tolerate up to -35v between gate and source, so I'm just now realising that that the VGSoff might actually need to be as much as -10v to shut it off (and I was only giving it -6V).