Is this possible? (Multiple footswitch question)

Started by Kevin.Ian.Common, February 10, 2021, 07:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin.Ian.Common

Hello!

First post here, and I have a question.

I have not been able to find an answer via the web, so this may not be possible. I figured, this is the best place to ask directly.

I was wondering if it was possible to have 3 footswitches controlling three different circuits, but only one effect turns on at a time. Example: FS 1 is on, and when FS 2 is engaged, FS 1 turns off--without tap-dancing gymnastics.

Thank you!

iainpunk

if you don't mind a logic circuit, Jfet switching and buffered bypass, its quite doable, with true bypass, probably not.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

PRR

A car radio does that. 5 buttons. Say News, Sports, Talk, MOR, Rock. Press Talk and the Rock stops.

Today the buttons cue a processor to work e-Switches. But in the old days a mechanical interlock popped-out all buttons except the one being poked.
  • SUPPORTER

Kevin.Ian.Common

Quote from: iainpunk on February 10, 2021, 07:36:05 PM
if you don't mind a logic circuit, Jfet switching and buffered bypass, its quite doable, with true bypass, probably not.

cheers

I'm incredibly ignorant to this. Any schematics?

Phoenix

Quote from: iainpunk on February 10, 2021, 07:36:05 PM
True bypass can be easily done with relays.

Quote from: Kevin.Ian.Common on February 10, 2021, 10:05:10 PM
I'm incredibly ignorant to this. Any schematics?
A flip-flop chip like a CD40175 or similar would do it if you're averse programming, but the du jour is a microcontroller which can do the same job with fewer parts. The Arduino platform is a good way to get started in microcontrollers with minimal barriers to entry, with the compromise of being larger and more expensive than a small PIC or AVR (for context, an Arduino Nano clone will only set you back a couple of dollars).

ElectricDruid

There was a thread here a while ago about a Mesa Boogie amp that does something like this. The circuit for it is quite clever (if pretty wasteful!):

This was the thread:

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=125995.0

(Edit:fixed schematic link)

webberfx

it is definately easier to do it using relays, momentary switches and a microcontroller like arduino, attiny or a PIC. i built one a couple years ago for a bass pedals with a fuzz, overdrive and a bass booster, if memory serves me i used a modified version of the Coda bypass code and a PIC12F675 an 3 relays.

BJM

I never built something with relays before but with relays would a combination of one footswitch with a few rotary swithces work? Something like this:

Not quite the answer to the question but in theory you could switch two different combinations on/off.

webberfx

so have you figured it out? if your interested i wrote up a program for an attiny85 that controls 3 relays that could work for you.