DAM Meathead clone problems.

Started by ironman180, February 13, 2021, 09:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironman180

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me.

Today I decided to build DAM Meathead clone. I ordered kit parts from Bitsbox and went to build it but I can't get it to work. When it's turned on there's no guitar sound, only high pitched squealing that increases as I increase volume on the potentiometer (at least that works..).

I attached pictures of the schematic and my build. And I know I changed places of input and output, I think that should not matter.

Thank you all so much!!

P.S. I changed the 47uf capacitor that I got with the 100uf like in the schematic.

Elijah-Baley

I guess you built it mirrored.
Your top view board should look like the layout. It's better do it another.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

duck_arse

welcome to the forum, ironman180.

what you have shown is a layout diagram, not a circuit dia, but hey-ho. it is common for first-time builders to do a mirror of a layout, but I don't think I've ever seen a mirrored and corrected before. well nearly corrected [looking at it and translating it is doing my head in], I think, if all other placements are correctly mirrored, that your transistors are reversed.
don't make me draw another line.

ironman180

I turned the transistors for 180 degrees and it works now, thanks guys. I now realise I was watching the layout wrong.  ;D

ironman180

Ok, so there's this other thing I realized that when the pedal is turned on it acts strange. That 1 potentiometer controls both volume and gain, so you can't use it below noon, because it's almost inaudible. Can someone tell me why is this happening?

iainpunk

that one control is actually just a volume control, but because there is an psycho acoustic effect, that louder volume gives a feeling of having more gain. or maybe its over driving your amp's input/clean channel with its volume...

the gain control on this fuzz is actually your guitar's volume control!!!!

cheers, Iain

friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

ironman180

Quote from: iainpunk on February 14, 2021, 07:55:56 PM
that one control is actually just a volume control, but because there is an psycho acoustic effect, that louder volume gives a feeling of having more gain. or maybe its over driving your amp's input/clean channel with its volume...

the gain control on this fuzz is actually your guitar's volume control!!!!

cheers, Iain

Thanks man! :D