angel v2 kit

Started by brujo, February 09, 2021, 07:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brujo

I placed the resistor in T1's place and discharched static from ic. Today I made some changes,I put in T1 a j201 ( I have some spares) and replaced C8 ( 10mF) with a 47mF (don't know really what I'm doing,honestly ;D),but it sounds a little bit less noisy and seems to have a more usable sounds, before I had chorus only in extreme pot position. LFO noise seems to be less too,but still present on extreme pot position. NEGATIVE thing is that when I pick a note you can ear a took-like sounds. What can be the reason of that thing??
Any suggestions? I would really like to know more about this things :icon_lol:

anotherjim

Increasing C8 will increase the LFO swing amount. Increasing C9 will smooth the LFO but lower the amount.
Alternately, an extra cap from PT2399 pin 2 to 0v will reduce any clicking that gets through. 1uF would be enough.

The kind of LFO circuit here can produce clicks. It alternately charges and discharges and feeds back via R16. Every time the output waveform voltage meets the voltage set by R14 and R15 (half the supply voltage), it switches over to change the direction of the waveform swing. It's when it switches it makes a click audible via a sudden change in supply and ground current.
The NE5532 is quite a fast and power-hungry opamp, and I do wonder if it's the best choice. A TL062, despite being noisier (for the signal pre-amp job), has a much softer switching action. You could also try an MC1458 or even an RC4558 although that last one could still be too fast.
... or before Iain says it, an LM358!
;)

brujo

0v = gnd? I tried but nothing changed :icon_question: should I use an ic gnd like pin3 or 4? I used the gnd from supply.
the click i'm talking about is from picking the strings,specially on high e and b.

anotherjim

I was advising about LFO noise (0v = ground in this case though). Pick attack is something else. It shouldn't make anything like that unless the delay isn't short enough and you are hearing a slapback echo which is more obvious on the picking attack. The purpose of the JFET is to pull the delay time as short as possible to hide the slapback delay. This circuit isn't actually capable of going to a short enough delay to completely hide the slapback - the PT2399 minimum delay cannot do it.