Wiring 69 fuzz issue

Started by rangermaster, February 15, 2021, 11:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rangermaster

Hi there. Have a little issue here..

I used this layout http://diy-fever.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/fuzz_face69.pdf and made a tagboard layout out of it (That's what i prefer). which you can find here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8n1nzynkyfzkasu/20210215_201320.jpg?dl=0

i started wiring but when i connected all of it it didn't work. I also have a photo of the resistor and transistor wiring i did on the tagboard here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2und0yl6goa62s8/20210215_201340.jpg?dl=0 (no caps and pots etc yet)

Can you help me out? and where do i put the red/black wires from the battery clip ?

I've seen on the photo on diy.fever site that the 2.2nF has to be 2.2uF like the original pedal.

Thanks for the help.

antonis

So, finally you did posted it on air..  :icon_lol:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

stallik

Antonis  - you been debugging this one privately too?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Rob Strand

The battery black lead connects to where the Contour pot and the 33k resistor join.
The battery red lead connects to the orange wire that goes to the Gain pot.

On your hand-drawn layout it looks like you have the collector c and the emitter e swapped on both transistors.
Please check.

It would be wise to start-off with 2u2.   Most Fuzz-face circuits have 2u2 but you can tweak the value to knock out some of the woof.  2n2 is going too far for sure.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

rangermaster

Thank you!

Yeah i have some 2.2uF(2u2) laying around so i can use those.

When i look at the fever layout and mine i can't see that i'm wrong with the transistors... ?

Ps: to the other members.. i got told/asked to put in on the forum. So i did.

Rob Strand

When i look at the fever layout and mine i can't see that i'm wrong with the transistors... ?
If you are using germanium PNP transistors like the original '69 the fever layout has the e and c swapped.

The only thing I can think of is they are using PNP *silicon* transistors and *deliberately* swapping e and c.  Perhaps not guaranteed to work doing that and definitely not what the original '69 did.
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

rangermaster

Ok yeah i am using NOS germanium OC72 transistors (metal can).

So i should swap C and E on both transistors. Resistors can stay put ?

Rob Strand

QuoteSo i should swap C and E on both transistors. Resistors can stay put ?
Yes.

The collector is often marked with a painted dot, base is the middle lead and emitter the remaining lead.

The schematic is here.  For example, Q1 emitter to ground (+9V),
https://guitarwork.ru/electronic/firm/Distortion/Fulltone%2069%20Pedal%20fuzz.jpg

rangermaster

Ok thanks. I'll keep the resistors in place and swap the transistors tonight. Thanks!

iainpunk

in the first link of your first post, the Bias and Contour pot names are reversed!
noticed that when i build it a few years back

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

rangermaster

Quote from: iainpunk on February 16, 2021, 10:28:15 AM
in the first link of your first post, the Bias and Contour pot names are reversed!

cheers

Oh in the diy-fever layout you mean ? Switch wires then ? Cause contour pot is 1k and bias is 50k standard..

iainpunk

Quote from: rangermaster on February 16, 2021, 10:41:56 AM

cheers

Oh in the diy-fever layout you mean ? Switch wires then ? Cause contour pot is 1k and bias is 50k standard..
yes the DIY-fever layout, no only the NAMES of the pots are wrong... switch labels.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

rangermaster

Quote from: iainpunk on February 16, 2021, 11:41:26 AM
Quote from: rangermaster on February 16, 2021, 10:41:56 AM

cheers

yes the DIY-fever layout, no only the NAMES of the pots are wrong... switch labels.

cheers

Ok are you really sure? Cause all the schematics i find have the same wiring....
Contour: 1k, 220ohms
Bias: 2.2uF, 1M

Do you also know(or any one else) how to wire it for negative ground and keep the pnp trannies ?

Rob Strand

The original pedal which matches the schematic I posted earlier had the pots arranged like this,

Pots Left to Right, as viewed from front of pedal

Volume      500kA
Bias      50kB   ; clockwise closes pot
Contour      1kB           ; clockwise opens pot
Fuzz      1kB

The Bias and Contour controls make the pedal louder when they are turned clockwise.

And yes, the Bias control isn't what electronics people would call a bias control but that's how the pedal was.

A second source of info is the Guitar Gadgets site.

There's a few versions of the '69.  I don't know what changed on later versions, if anything.

rangermaster

Quote from: Rob Strand on February 16, 2021, 06:23:50 PM
The original pedal which matches the schematic I posted earlier had the pots arranged like this,

Pots Left to Right, as viewed from front of pedal

Volume      500kA
Bias      50kB   ; clockwise closes pot
Contour      1kB           ; clockwise opens pot
Fuzz      1kB

The Bias and Contour controls make the pedal louder when they are turned clockwise.

And yes, the Bias control isn't what electronics people would call a bias control but that's how the pedal was.

A second source of info is the Guitar Gadgets site.

There's a few versions of the '69.  I don't know what changed on later versions, if anything.

I found this somewhere..

Fuzz" = Gain
"Countour" = Bias
"Bias" = Input Level
"Level" = Output Level

antonis

Does Pots nomenclature affect pedal's function...??

e.g. You can also meet a pot between two distinct amplification stages named Sustain, Distortion or Volume.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Rob Strand

QuoteDoes Pots nomenclature affect pedal's function...??

e.g. You can also meet a pot between two distinct amplification stages named Sustain, Distortion or Volume.. :icon_wink:
The naming of the Bias and Contour pots on that pedal is very confusing.    Unless you have see it before it's fairly normal to think there is something wrong with the schematic/wiring/pot values etc.

Another weird thing about that pedal is the Contour pot (which changes the Q2 bias voltage ) is wired into the top resistor so it gets a lot louder when the Q2 collector voltage is set to a low value.

duck_arse

Quote from: antonis on February 17, 2021, 04:49:23 AM

.... expander, swell.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

iainpunk

Quote from: duck_arse on February 17, 2021, 08:51:18 AM
Quote from: antonis on February 17, 2021, 04:49:23 AM

.... expander, swell.
drive, harmonics, gate, boost.

Fuzz" = Gain
"Countour" = Bias
"Bias" = Input Level
"Level" = Output Level
that's also how i re-named the pots, i assumed there was a mistake in the names

cheers

cheers

rangermaster

Ok..

Tried wiring it again today. I swapped the transistors and connected the red lead to emitter q1 and the black lead where 33k and 1k pot meets.

Doesnt work.. nothing.

But after some ground checks and wiring the fuzz pot in a different way it works.

Now i have this layout: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5fd09rjes1mwrx/20210217_204436.jpg?dl=0

One more question..... the fuzz has to work on a 9v battery.. but how exactly do i wire the battery leads so it doesn't drain the battery when the cable is out of the in/output ?