Replacement for NTE996 needed :(

Started by KarenColumbo, February 17, 2021, 02:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarenColumbo

Seems I lag behind the world's progress. While I was idly surfing the web the wondrous "Jangle Box" compressor was brought to my ears' attention - what a nice stompbox, I thought. As I still like to etch the hell out of copper layers, solder multicoloured items, and drill aluminum enclosures to death I decided to give this one a go. At pedalpcb there is a schematic readily available, but my initial euphoria was suddelny tainted by the fact that the OTA IC that's in use in this thing ("Byrdhouse") is a whiff from the past - it's almost unobtainable here in Europe (Switzerland has a few, but the parcel delivery would be right over 45 Euros).

After some additinal surfing I gathered that the NT996 in itself is an alternative to the famous CA3080 - which, due to unobtainabilty, can itself be theoretically substituted by the more common LM13700. Or so.

Is that true? What will be the pitfalls of such an endeavour?

The schemo mentioned by me earlier can be found right at this link, page 3 of the doc: https://www.pedalpcb.com/docs/Byrdhouse.pdf

(Edit: The YouTube clip that caught my attention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJLBmDwd2Zc)
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

Kevin Mitchell

I thought that NTE's inventory was just rebranded NOS items?
It's definitely a 3080.

Alfa had started making a AS3080 recently. Which honestly - is probably repurposed wafers from their quad 13700 IC. But I'm just spitballing.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

Marcos - Munky

iainpunk

NTE996 is a CA3080 without a TO-5 can package available, the wafers are identical.

i didn't know CA3080's are hard to find??? my local electronics store had them a few years ago for 2 euro, which i found quite expensive to be honest. but if i look up the prices now, they are going for 3 euro online...
i have a few laying around somewhere, i should build a tremolo.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

KarenColumbo

Ha! Seems I somehow tricked Google into not showing me the right search results :) Just re-calibrated my internal (vintage) spelling systems (= brain), searched again, and found banzaimusic.com who indeed do offer CA3080s in abundance! Thank you very much for setting me right here!

(Also: this THAT 4316 looks promising. At least that's what I thought perusing the app notes THAT thankworthily provide)
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

duck_arse

that birdhouse circuit, on a quick glance, looks verry reminiscent of the dynacomp/ross/etc compressors.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Rob Strand

Quotethat birdhouse circuit, on a quick glance, looks verry reminiscent of the dynacomp/ross/etc compressors.
But is there a companion duckhouse envelope filter?
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on February 17, 2021, 03:46:17 PM
I thought that NTE's inventory was just rebranded NOS items?
It's definitely a 3080.

Alfa had started making a AS3080 recently. Which honestly - is probably repurposed wafers from their quad 13700 IC. But I'm just spitballing.

The AS3080E has significantly better numbers than the original CA3080. Most of the numbers match the CA3080A which was the "best-of" selected version. Other numbers are better than that. For example, the gain control range is linear for another decade. The "E" is for extended, since it also includes linearisation diodes like the 13700 if you choose to use them (improves S/N further, but makes the approach to distortion more abrupt). I've played with it and to me it seemed noticeably quieter and less prone to feedthrough and thumping. S'a nice little chip.

duck_arse

Quote from: Rob Strand on February 18, 2021, 08:50:22 AM
Quotethat birdhouse circuit, on a quick glance, looks verry reminiscent of the dynacomp/ross/etc compressors.
But is there a companion duckhouse envelope filter?

Frostwave funk-a-duck.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Rob Strand

QuoteFrostwave funk-a-duck.
good one!  ;D
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

EBK

Quote from: KarenColumbo on February 18, 2021, 01:15:20 AM
(Also: this THAT 4316 looks promising. At least that's what I thought perusing the app notes THAT thankworthily provide)
I'll once again mention my favorite compressor.  :icon_wink:
http://www.thatcorp.com/pedals/4316%20Battery-Powered%20One%20Knob%20Squeezer.pdf
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

KarenColumbo

Quote from: EBK on February 18, 2021, 10:40:25 AM
http://www.thatcorp.com/pedals/4316%20Battery-Powered%20One%20Knob%20Squeezer.pdf
I've already been requesting estimates for bionic eye and solder iron replacements the last few weeks for this particular IC. Sadly out of my fincial scope. As are the necessary reflow oven and stencil subscription.
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Quote from: KarenColumbo on February 19, 2021, 07:29:37 AM
I've already been requesting estimates for bionic eye and solder iron replacements the last few weeks for this particular IC. Sadly out of my fincial scope. As are the necessary reflow oven and stencil subscription.
Just buy an adapter board and drag solder it (apply some liquid flux to the board, line up the chip, drag copious amount of molten solder across all the pins, then remove the excess solder with some braid or a solder sucker, then clean the excess flux with a toothbrush and some alcohol).  Takes a couple minutes, and you can use any soldering iron tip you like.  :icon_wink:

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

KarenColumbo

Quote from: EBK on February 19, 2021, 09:03:01 AM
Quote from: KarenColumbo on February 19, 2021, 07:29:37 AM
Just buy an adapter board and drag solder it (apply some liquid flux to the board, line up the chip, drag copious amount of molten solder across all the pins, then remove the excess solder with some braid or a solder sucker, then clean the excess flux with a toothbrush and some alcohol).  Takes a couple minutes, and you can use any soldering iron tip you like.  :icon_wink:

Yeah, I already Eagle'd such a board today (and tried to scrounge a handful from THAT Corp  :icon_biggrin:) - I did quite a few FV-1s this way, but the 4316 is really another dimension - it fells to me like it almost invisible. Quite a challenge. SOlder braid is an excellent idea - the sucker is too bulky for my taste.
  • SUPPORTER