AION Comet DS1 - sound is a low fuzz

Started by broomhandle, February 17, 2021, 06:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broomhandle

Hello Everybody,

I have built a Lion DS-1. I chose the vintage build. I get sound when engaged. Volume and tone work. The distortion knob does nothing. It sounds like a low "tone turned down" fuzz. Pictures attached.

any help?

antonis

Check continuity between DIST pot lug 3 -> R10(47k) -> C7 (1μF) -> GND

If something there is "open", IC1A acts as a buffer (unity gain) so the only distortion comes from Q2 preceding stage..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

iainpunk

friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

broomhandle

Thank you, I am testing now. Trying to figure it out...

broomhandle

Hello,

thanks for helping. When we are talking Left and Right, I think we are talking about from looking at the top.

My results are odd (Left and Right) I am not the best with a DMM... here are my results. :)

1.) DMM on cont. red prob on dist lug 3, black probe on R10 right leg.  = no beep on right leg ( - ), but beep on left ( + )  (looking from top down)
2.) DMM on resistance. black prob on dist lug 3, red on R3 =   I get no reading.
3.) DMM on cont. black prob on dist lug 3, reg prob C7 = no beep on either leg.
4.) DMM on cont. Red prob on C7, black on ground. = beep on ( - ) right leg. no beep from left leg (+)

antonis

I might confused you about Left-Right, so here it is:

"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

broomhandle

I think I am more confused now.

so for C7, are you saying left leg as in (+) or (-)

and for 1-3. the red prob should be on lug 3 of dist pot?

I think this is right... photo attached...

sorry if I am more confused now.

antonis

Forget about DMM probe polarity, either for continuity test or resistance measurement..
(you don't read your P.M.s thoroughly..) :icon_mrgreen:

C7 Left leg should be the one marked (-)

As for R10, place one probe to pot lug 3 and the other probe to one of R10 legs..
You have two options:
1. Beep -> OK
2. No beep -> turn to resistance measurement mode -> 47k -> OK (no need for other leg beeping now..)

broomhandle

Ok..

1.) LUG 3 > R10 = a beep on the left side. "Picture attached". If that is not correct. I can do this:

No beep -> turn to resistance measurement mode -> 47k -> OK (no need for other leg beeping now..)

2.) Lug 3 > C7 Right (+) = No Beep
3.) C7 Left (-) > Ground = Beep

Sorry if any confusion. I am a novice. I just thought this is fun, until one has issues.. thank you again everybody for helping.

antonis

OK.. :icon_wink:

Now measure resistance between pot lug 3 and C7 right (+)..

broomhandle

antonis

So, NFB gain branch is OK..

Check for pot lug2 & lug1 connections..

broomhandle

So now check Lug 1 and 2: resistance  C7 right (+)..

the connections of lug 1 and 2 solider looks good.

antonis

Sorry but I tend to forget your initial issue..  :icon_wink:

So, let's get it from the beginning:

Check all pot connections to respective items..
e.g Lug 1  to IC1A pin 6, C5, C6 & R12..
Lug 2 (wiper) to C5 & R9
R9 to IC1A pin 3..

broomhandle

I am a little confused again. Are you asking to get continuity (beep)? or a measurement?

Lug 1  > IC1A pin 6, C5, C6 & R12
Lug 2 > C5 & R9

R9 to IC1A pin 3.. (?)

Quote from: antonis on February 24, 2021, 05:17:33 AM
Sorry but I tend to forget your initial issue..  :icon_wink:

So, let's get it from the beginning:

Check all pot connections to respective items..
e.g Lug 1  to IC1A pin 6, C5, C6 & R12..
Lug 2 (wiper) to C5 & R9
R9 to IC1A pin 3..

antonis

Check for proper connection and value of everyone item and wiring inside red frame..

broomhandle

Finally replying... thanks again for the help..

on my MultiMeter using 200k Ohm.

R9 = 100.1
R10 = 4.8

C5 = 40.8
C6= 54.0
C7 = 143.5 (side does say 1uf)

100kB = 90.8

IC = 4.0-2.0

Im not sure if the caps are the correct measurement. And I am not sure about the IC. I used red on the 1st hot pin, and took each pin. Not sure if I collected the right measurements..

thanks for helping the noobs. These projects are really fun, thanks to people in these forums :)

iainpunk

have you considered an Audio Probe?

it goes to your amp and you can test for guitar singal at several parts of the circuit!
cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

broomhandle

Yes, I have a probe. The problem is am not sure what to test. The circuit works. Its is just a low fizzle. Like a bad cap or something. Or Bad IC. not sure...

antonis