Standard Pot spacings?

Started by OiMcCoy, February 20, 2021, 10:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OiMcCoy

Not that kind of pot!

I am designing a library of PCBs for classic effects and I want to make sure that the potentiometers are spaced in a standardized way as they will be board mounted. Now any google search will give you plenty of drilling templates, but I am struggling to find the actual measurements. 

For example, I am designing a 70's Fuzz Face to fit in a 1590B. Is there an ideal spacing? I would like for other people to be able to use the design with ease.

Thanks for the help!

GGBB

Minimum would be the outside diameter of the pot or outside diameter of the knob whichever is larger.

Maximum would be the enclosure width/height minus one times the above.

Everything in between is up to personal taste. I personally like 1.2" spacing.
  • SUPPORTER

davent

I arrange them wherever i think they look best on the enclosure spaced so they work with knobs i want to use and never repeat a layout.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

OiMcCoy

Well I figure I will just use my own standard.

Here is the Fuzz Face pcb I designed

iainpunk

for fuzz face and similar circuits, i recommend a bias trim-pot or external control.
having it as an external control is a super nice feature to replace the near-useless fuzz control (guitar volume control does a better job at lowering gain, without muddying it up, check out the JHS fuzz face mod video)

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

OiMcCoy