Author Topic: Standard Pot spacings?  (Read 201 times)

OiMcCoy

Standard Pot spacings?
« on: February 20, 2021, 10:03:28 AM »
Not that kind of pot!

I am designing a library of PCBs for classic effects and I want to make sure that the potentiometers are spaced in a standardized way as they will be board mounted. Now any google search will give you plenty of drilling templates, but I am struggling to find the actual measurements. 

For example, I am designing a 70's Fuzz Face to fit in a 1590B. Is there an ideal spacing? I would like for other people to be able to use the design with ease.

Thanks for the help!

GGBB

Re: Standard Pot spacings?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 10:22:07 AM »
Minimum would be the outside diameter of the pot or outside diameter of the knob whichever is larger.

Maximum would be the enclosure width/height minus one times the above.

Everything in between is up to personal taste. I personally like 1.2" spacing.
  • SUPPORTER

davent

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 12:38:40 PM »
I arrange them wherever i think they look best on the enclosure spaced so they work with knobs i want to use and never repeat a layout.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

OiMcCoy

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 01:30:41 PM »
Well I figure I will just use my own standard.

Here is the Fuzz Face pcb I designed

iainpunk

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 03:10:10 PM »
for fuzz face and similar circuits, i recommend a bias trim-pot or external control.
having it as an external control is a super nice feature to replace the near-useless fuzz control (guitar volume control does a better job at lowering gain, without muddying it up, check out the JHS fuzz face mod video)

cheers
half man - half snail - 6 feet to scale - Snail man's - not frail - He's been - to jail - snail man is fuccing real
『snailpilled』

OiMcCoy

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 05:10:59 PM »
Great advice!