Colorsound / Sola Sound Tone Bender replacement screw specs

Started by jessetrbo, February 20, 2021, 03:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessetrbo

Greetings... I am repairing a friend's Colorsound Supa Wah-Fuzz-Swell and was reminded that I have lost the small screws that go to my hybrid Tone Bender.  I set them aside when I was changing the battery, and they have disapeered from my life. 

Does anyone here know what type/size screw is appropriate?  They are quite tiny, and are not the typical stompbox screws that I have in excess.  There are two of these screws that are visible on the sides of the pedal (you can see similar example in this link:  https://www.macaris.co.uk/colorsound-bass-fuzz/p/p3110  )

I have emailed Macaris and perhaps I will get a response; naturally, I'll post it here.  I did perform a cursory search here, and in general online, but did not find any results.  I haven't had good luck with local hardware stores, either. 

Thanks for your help. 

--Jesse

--Jesse
Jesse Trbovich -- Philadelphia

davent

Are they self tapping sheet metal screws or does the base take a threaded screw?

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

iainpunk

i bet its european sizing, M3 or M2, since the originals are from VOX out of Italy, seems only logical to be in real metric units instead of imaginary imperial units

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

jessetrbo

Thanks for initial responses... I recall them to be self-tapping, but I can't be certain.  It just helps connect the flanged metal base to the side of the enclosure.

It is a UK product, so I suspect that it's metric (https://householdquotes.co.uk/uk-screw-sizes/).

Jesse Trbovich -- Philadelphia

kaycee

They are just self tappers, I'm surprised your hardware store didn't have something suitable? Any hobbyists, tradesmen or fix anything guys in your circle or neighbourhood? They all have tins of odd screws to rummage through. I have a couple of coloursounds laying around, I'll get one out and measure it later and get back. I have a gauge for measuring thread pitch, but I don't think it will be any use on self cutting thread, as its for machine threads, but at least I'll find the diameter for you and length.

anotherjim

I hate to say Amazon, but you can get handy sets of small metric screws there. You can find any head shape (usually Phillips driver) and with a nice blackened finish.
Yes, I'd expect self-tapping round head and sized anywhere from 2/2.5/3 mm.

Our hardware stores are usually out of stock on the small sizes and only sell them in small packs of 5 or so with a huge mark-up on the price and they won't have any cosmetic finish and only countersunk head. So being able to get sets of various sizes can be a big future time saver.

davent

Not applicable for the self tapping screws here but if you ever across something like this, snap it up, invaluable.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

iainpunk

QuoteOur hardware stores are usually out of stock on the small sizes and only sell them in small packs of 5 or so with a huge mark-up on the price and they won't have any cosmetic finish and only countersunk head. So being able to get sets of various sizes can be a big future time saver.
maybe ask your local electronics store, the one near my place has screws available per 1 and down to 7 cents per small one of low quality, and some higher prices for better metals.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

kaycee

Both of the Coloursounds I have here have all their screws missing  :-X

I have a couple more, but they are in storage at the moment.

I loath Amazon and buy off of small shops on eBay. You might find a couple of screws in something plastic to 'borrow', know any small children with toys...