Non-metal socket tool

Started by pringe, February 21, 2021, 11:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pringe

I've occasionally seen people using some kind of non-metal (plastic?) socket sets to remove things like jack socket nuts etc which won't damage/mark any chassis/enclosures - I would like to get some but I can't remember what they are called! Could someone remind me? Thanks!

iainpunk

i use electrical tape for that, i have a dedicated mini pipe wrench which i covered with shrink wrap and electrical tape, so i don't scratch up enclosures. works great!

a friend of mine builds modular synth units, he uses 3D printed wrench sockets.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Andon

I think you might be looking for these:

Rocket Sockets

For what it's worth, I have a set and they're great!
  • SUPPORTER

pringe

davent

I cut holes in strips of transparent film that are slightly larger then the various nuts used on pedal building, slip one around the nut i need to tighten and it prevents the socket from coming into contact with the enclosure. Olfa circle cutter works great.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

bluebunny

Fuzz Dog also carries the Rocket Sockets (although they're out of stock atm.) - for those of us this side of the Atlantic.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

amptramp

Heathkit used to provide a red plastic nutdriver with all the kits that used nuts (and that was most of them until they went to plastic chassis.  You might find one around somewhere - I used to have several but they have gone AWOL.  They were not great for doing a final tightening but they could get you most of the way there.