Line 6 M5 switch replacment and "scene select mod" wiring?

Started by Dirtydrowningman, February 21, 2021, 05:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirtydrowningman

Hey guys i recently bought a used line 6 m5 and am waiting for it in the mail. I am only interested in all the fm4 sounds. I want to replace the crappy stock switches and add what they call the scene select mod so you dont have to click the two switches at the same time. So I found out how to wire up the new switches and also the right way to do the mod. I am just confused about how to wire both of them up together. Does anyone have a quick diagram or an explanation?
Thank you.

The first image is part of the mod wiring

And the second pic is the wiring for the new switches

Mark Hammer

Not sure what "scene select" would be with the M5.  With the M9, having several effects at once, a "scene" is some combination of effects.  With only one effect at a time in the M5, wouldn't a "scene" be equivalent to a preset?  And if so, isn't that capability already built into the M5?  Only 20 storable presets, I'll grant you, but all settings are included in the stored preset, including volume level, and can be scrolled through.

Does this mod add some capability beyond that?  For instance, the ability to go directly to the preset you want, without scrolling?

Dirtydrowningman

The only purpose of this mod is so you dont have to click the 2 switches together to scroll through the presets. When you click on the newly added switch. It acts like you are pressing the 2 switches together.
The 2 switches on the m5 are awkwardly spaced.

Mark Hammer

Not if you have wide feet and shoes to match!  :icon_lol:

IIRC, the requirement for pressing both switches is only for selecting the preset mode itself, and is not required for scrolling through them.

Incidentally, the M5 is amenable to reprocessing.  That is, you can plug into the right channel, take its output and feed that to the left channel to do all over again what you just did to it.  GREAT with reverse delay.

Dirtydrowningman

Nice!!  Thanks for the cool infomation. I have got to try that when it comes.