A good DIY distorsion pedal for groovebox / drums ? OCD clone ?

Started by Nicotep, February 24, 2021, 02:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicotep

I'm planning to build a stereo version of an OCD clone to warm up / brutalize my drum tracks.
What I like in the OCD in that purpose (the "v2" posted on tagboardeffects, with 500k vol + gain & 25k tone pot) is that it keeps very usable on all settings, even 100% drive, and the 'tone' indeed filters - not too much but in an efficient way.

BUT

Maybe you pewpl have different suggestions of a distorsion aimed at electronic drums / grooveboxes ?

Not talking about super harsh sound of late 90's like Atari Teenage Riot or EC8OR... A bit more mellow than that :)

iainpunk

i strongly suggest a ProCo RAT. it can go from slight overdrive to brutal with its gain control, but adding an input attenuator is a good idea for most overdrives used with synth-drum-electronic gear. i think a big muff can be quite good on drums as well, especially with the tone and gain down a bit.
a DOD 250 is also quite mellow, being bright, but not aggressive.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Nicotep

Great. Have a fair copy of the ProcoRat here.
And the DOD250 has so few components it's not a big risk to try.
Thanks for your suggestions !

iainpunk

i just realised that a green ringer could be a cool drum pedal as well. its an analog ''ocatve up'' but it sounds really ring-mod-like, cool, metallic and clangy, if you are in to space sounds. can be kinda noisy, but not high gain at all (generally considered unity gain, the in and out volumes are the same-ish)

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers