News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Noisy Klon

Started by zipfool, February 25, 2021, 08:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zipfool

I'm sure I've brought this on myself  ;)

I bought a Klon kit from General Guitar Gadgets and decided I don't like the enclosure they sent. So I bought a [nicely powder-coated] enclosure from Landtone. Everything from the GGG kit fits in this new enclosure and everything sounds good when it's wired up.

But, there's a constant and very high pitched noise coming from the pedal when I have it switched on. I suppose it might still be there when I'm in bypass, but it's hard to tell. When the pedal is on, this noise gets louder/softer when I turn up any of the pots. It's only slightly quieter if I use a 9V battery instead of my rather questionable power supply.

There's one photo at the bottom of the post, but here are some more:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DtC5mVvvV7iDPchY8

I built this with all the components that GGG sent me, except I swapped one of the caps out as a tone mod (C14 - 6.8nF). Before wiring this to the assembly, I reflowed all the joints on the PCB (see my other thread called "Klon Rat's Nest from Hell"). Last time I checked, all the voltage checks out across all IC legs.

I'm happy to record the high pitched noise, but it just sounds like a very high pitch feedback noise.
I'm also happy to try anything to diagnose or poke around some more. When I poke around the board, everything is pretty solid and nothing sounds like it's shorting out.

iainpunk

im not to familiar with the charge pump, but it might be what's causing the noise.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

idy

The 7660 charge pumps often give troublesome whine. The LT1054 are a few dollars more but less trouble.

With them you need to make sure that pins 1 and 8 are not bridged. With the 7660 you need to bridge them to "boost" the frequency safely into the ultrasonic. If this is not bridged you can do it with a bit of wire. If you replace with 1054 you would need to bend pin 1 out of the way.

aefpv

I built this pedal too from GGG.  I had the same trouble.  I had to get a different charge pump and the problem was solved.  I got the TC1044 SPCA and the Max 1044 CPA.  If my memory is correct, both worked well. 

zipfool

I hadn't considered that the ICs could be the issue. I'll give your suggestions a try this weekend if I've got any of those laying around in my kit.
Thanks!

stallik

Hmm. I had to use a 1054 to quieten mine down. I'm sure that pins 1&8 are connected on the board - perhaps not? Must check later.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

r080

From the pictures of the board on JD's site, it looks like they are. However, it is a single sided board, and should not be too hard to cut, or do what IDY suggested.
Rob

stallik

I'm using a fuzz dog board - still haven't checked it..
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

zipfool

Thanks everyone! I tried a TC1044 SPCA and it works great now. No noise other than my poor pickwork 😀!