UVICS (UniVibe in a Crybaby Shell) Stomp switch question

Started by slashandburn, February 27, 2021, 03:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slashandburn

Hey all, hope you're keeping well in these strange times.

I've been looking over the notes for R.G's UVICS build   http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/UVICS-3%20Project%20File-3.pdf for similar project I've agreed to take on (against all better judgement) for a local fella.

The location of the stomp switch on crybaby enclosures is the main issue. Whatever control is on the big foot-lever obviously has to be set to the absolute extreme (briefly) to actually engage or disengage the effect, which is surely far from ideal but something you could probably get away with if you're fast, and probably less noticeable for relatively subtle effects.

Is there any workarounds? I can't for the life of me think of anywhere else on a crybaby style wah to place the Stomp switch so the wah level could be left %^&*ed when it was engaged or disengaged.

Any suggestions, thoughts or tengential musings would be appreciated.

kaycee

Ive done it with uni vibes and tremolo's. It's no more an issue with those than it is with a wah. You get used to where the settings are and quickly find where you want to be. Often if you have put it in a treadle, you are going to be using it dynamically.

r080

Rob

iainpunk

add a simple ''external'' foot switch, like an amp's channel selector. or upright like the fuzz foot switch on an shin-ei fuzz-wah

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

slashandburn

I cant see anywhere obvious to mount one on a crybaby like the shin-Ei.  Here maybe? but even if I can make it fit,i cant imagine it being very practical

The external switch could be an option though, i'll keep that in mind! Guess I'll jury-rig something togehter with the switch in the standard position to see how well that works, as kaycee said it might not even be much of a problem.

Cheers!
Iain

Halkbi

Look up the Jen Double Sound Fuzz wah. It utilizes a heavy duty DPDT toggle switch on the side to turn the fuzz portion on and off. Works fine with a bit of practice, with the added bonus that you don't need an LED to tell wether the effect is on or off  :)