Civil War Big Muff fuzz problems

Started by OiMcCoy, March 01, 2021, 02:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OiMcCoy

So I have been wanting to make a civil war esq BMP with a tone stack that includes mid controls.

Well I am very happy with the end result, however, when using my bass on the A string has some dead zones where the fuzz seems to not come in until after the sustain has died out a little. There is still a mostly clean note, but no fuzz.

The lower notes in general don't sound that great, but that's not too surprising. It's that dead area on the A string that has me perplexed.

The D and G string sound exactly how I want it to sound.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

So I used this schematic with a few values subbed out for something very close. The transistors are all 2N5088.

iainpunk

C6 and C7 are to small for clipping to occur on low frequency's in the way it does at higher frequency's. i suggest going to 220nF or larger.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

OiMcCoy

Sweet, will give that a go.

Thanks for the help, as always.

iainpunk

i'm not 100% sure about this fix, AFAIK bass big muff also uses bigger caps here.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

OiMcCoy

If nothing else it should make the fuzz sound better on the low end. The "dead spot" seems like an issue with my layout. I crammed everything into a fairly tight space.

antonis

Quote from: OiMcCoy on March 01, 2021, 05:02:38 PM
The "dead spot" seems like an issue with my layout.

At about what frequency margins lies that "dead spot"..??
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

OiMcCoy

Its at its worst from D to E on the A string (bass). Lower than that and it will fuzz, not as nicely as I think it could. but there is almost no fuzz in that zone until the note decays.

duck_arse

Quote from: OiMcCoy on March 01, 2021, 02:40:08 PM

So I used this schematic with a few values subbed out for something very close. The transistors are all 2N5088.

this circuit dia - is in your googoo drive something, which is verboten to my eyes, so they tell me.
don't make me draw another line.

Fancy Lime

Quote from: duck_arse on March 02, 2021, 10:09:15 AM

this circuit dia - is in your googoo drive something, which is verboten to my eyes, so they tell me.
That's a promelm :)
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

antonis

Quote from: Fancy Lime on March 02, 2021, 02:24:18 PM

Now you owe me a new clean and dry keyboard...!!!   :icon_mrgreen:  8)
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Fancy Lime

Quote from: antonis on March 02, 2021, 02:28:54 PM
Quote from: Fancy Lime on March 02, 2021, 02:24:18 PM

Now you owe me a new clean and dry keyboard...!!!   :icon_mrgreen:  8)
No promelmo! Ok, I'll stop now before someone gets hurt...
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

duck_arse

hmmm, must be something the kids do these days - I got no idea.

Fancy Lime

Quote from: duck_arse on March 03, 2021, 08:21:23 AM
It's a local tradition around these parts. The idea is to impress your crush by planting a full grown tree in their front yard overnight and in secret, to make them go to the school dance with you. Biggest tree gets the girl, sort of thing.

iainpunk

Quote from: Fancy Lime on March 03, 2021, 03:45:19 PM
Quote from: duck_arse on March 03, 2021, 08:21:23 AM
It's a local tradition around these parts. The idea is to impress your crush by planting a full grown tree in their front yard overnight and in secret, to make them go to the school dance with you. Biggest tree gets the girl, sort of thing.
here in the netherlands, we do that with weed plants...
we had a 2.6meter high weed tree in the back yard... ill search for pics to prove it!

cheers

cheers

Phend

• SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

duck_arse

I see - so you plant a tree to get a root.

OiMcCoy

*returns from a camping trip to see that his post has many replies*

*opens post*

Look what they have done to my boy!

antonis

That's what happens when you let little boys without supervision.. :icon_wink:

OiMcCoy

Well I up the cap sizes for the clipping and it made a WORLD of difference. It's a little dark now, but I am sure I can shape it how I want it from here. Thanks for the big tip!

iainpunk

sorry for the derailment, ever since the pandemic, the whole forum seems more derail-prone... :icon_rolleyes:

you might want to make the 470p caps smaller to let more treble be amplified, it wil brighten the sound and ''open up'' the character of the fuzz.

cheers

cheers