Rams Head stripboard layout questions

Started by Hedgehog, March 02, 2021, 09:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hedgehog

A couple things I'm wrestling with here:

1. With the Mids switch there is both a strip on the board and a terminal on the switch that says "Tone 3". Do I attach two wires to pin 3 of the tone pot and send one to each place?

2. I used all Linear pots as per the usual BMP suggestion. I'm getting a significant jump up on the last 20% or so of the Volume knob. I tried a Logarithmic and it does the same thing. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks!

Elijah-Baley

1. I'm sorry, I'm not sure I get what you mean, maybe you said well, anyway. In case: you have to connect one lug of the switch to the board to the Sw1 strip. And the Tone pot has on the lug 3 two wires: one from the board and one from the other lug of the switch.

2. A log volume pot instead a linear pot should give to you a different response. It happens that a linear volume pot increases the volume very quickly, in the first 20% or so, like you said. With a log volume pot you can get the same volume about 50%.
Do you hear the progression of the volume when you turn the pot or it just jump on all out abruptly? Check the wiring of the Volume pot, Volume 1 in particular, it has to go to the ground.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Hedgehog

Thanks for the replies! I'll investigate further.

duck_arse

I can't see the pertinent circuit dagram. what does it show re. connections?
don't make me draw another line.

Hedgehog

There is a DTDP on/off/on with a 4n7 on one end and a 10n on the other. The middle connections are marked "Tone 3" and "Sw1". The strip board has a strip labeled Tone 3 which then goes to a 33k to ground and a 4n to the Collector of Q3.

My question was, if the wire from the switch goes to Tone 3, then should there also be a wire from the actual pin 3 on the tone pot going to the switch as well?

https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/06/ehx-73-rams-head-big-muff.html

r080

Quote from: Hedgehog on March 03, 2021, 11:55:25 AM
My question was, if the wire from the switch goes to Tone 3, then should there also be a wire from the actual pin 3 on the tone pot going to the switch as well?

Yes, absolutely. The idea is you are switching another capacitor in parallel to the 4n tone cap to change the cutoff frequency of the high pass portion of the tone control. One of the difficulties with the tagboard layouts is they don't always have a matching schematic. Referring to the electrosmash schematic, what you are doing is adding a capacitor in parallel with C9. Middle switch position does not add a cap. If it makes it easier to wire, you could also connect the other side of the switch to the board, say 4 holes to the right of the Tone3 wire. I believe it is considered bad form to have wires in the middle of the board, though.

https://www.electrosmash.com/big-muff-pi-analysis
Rob

Hedgehog

Thanks! Appreciate the answer.

Quote from: r080 on March 03, 2021, 12:19:10 PM
Quote from: Hedgehog on March 03, 2021, 11:55:25 AM

Yes, absolutely. The idea is you are switching another capacitor in parallel to the 4n tone cap to change the cutoff frequency of the high pass portion of the tone control. One of the difficulties with the tagboard layouts is they don't always have a matching schematic. Referring to the electrosmash schematic, what you are doing is adding a capacitor in parallel with C9. Middle switch position does not add a cap. If it makes it easier to wire, you could also connect the other side of the switch to the board, say 4 holes to the right of the Tone3 wire. I believe it is considered bad form to have wires in the middle of the board, though.

https://www.electrosmash.com/big-muff-pi-analysis

duck_arse

[grrrrr]
      [grrrrrr]

Quote from: r080 on March 03, 2021, 12:19:10 PM

One of the difficulties with the tagboard layouts is they don't always have a matching schematic.  I believe it is considered bad form ...., though.

[/grrrrrr]
[/grrrrrr]

r080

Out of curiosity, duck, what raised your hackles more - the idea of a wire in the middle of the board, or tagboard layouts with no schematic? I know it would be the latter for me.
Rob

Hedgehog

Quote from: r080 on March 04, 2021, 01:48:08 PM
Out of curiosity, duck, what raised your hackles more - the idea of a wire in the middle of the board, or tagboard layouts with no schematic? I know it would be the latter for me.

It seems like maybe he's trying to suggest that I made a bad post because I didn't include a schematic. My question was about a strip board layout and specifically a mod that was added by the layout maker, so I'm not sure how attaching a schematic of a Rams Head would have helped anyone answer my question, mainly because this is a small mod on a strip board, and no such schematic exists as far as I know.

In the end it doesn't matter. Someone else was kind enough to answer my simple question. I think we're done here.

antonis

Quote from: Hedgehog on March 04, 2021, 02:47:45 PM
Someone else was kind enough to answer my simple question.

It isn't a mater of kindness.. :icon_wink:

duck_arse IS to the point 'cause strip/perf/PC board always come after respective schematic..
(without switch presumptive role awareness it is tricky to trace all possible connections..)
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

r080

It seems like maybe he's trying to suggest that I made a bad post because I didn't include a schematic. My question was about a strip board layout and specifically a mod that was added by the layout maker, so I'm not sure how attaching a schematic of a Rams Head would have helped anyone answer my question, mainly because this is a small mod on a strip board, and no such schematic exists as far as I know.

I just realized my post could have been taken that way. No, your post was not bad. The tagboard layouts are rarely available with a matching schematic. You were working with the best information you had!
Rob

Hedgehog

Quote from: antonis on March 04, 2021, 04:07:59 PM
Someone else was kind enough to answer my simple question.

It isn't a matter of kindness.. :icon_wink:

...but is it so hard? I have read a lot of threads here, and this Duck Ass guy is usually an asshole. Every message board since the beginning of the internet has one guy like this. Can't wait to log on every day so he can show everyone how superior he is to the new people.

Look, Duck Ass, you know damn well that your reply was bullshit and MOST of your replies on this board are bullshit. I don't know why anyone puts up with you. Would it have been so hard to either try to answer the question or just NOT POST AT ALL? Like I said, this is a strip board layout, you're the big dog here, so you know exactly where it came from, and you know that there is no schematic that I could have possibly provided that would have meant anything.

bluebunny

I think you need to calm down.  Your assertions about duck_arse are just plain wrong.  He's not an asshole (despite the amusing pun, of course), he's not superior, most (all?) of his replies are not bullshit, and we "put up" with him just fine.  Now you may have grabbed the wrong end of the stick - this is typical of fora across the planet (or indeed, any informal written form) - but he was trying to help you by asking pertinent questions.  And asking for a schematic was the first step in trying to help.  It's very true that many layouts that you find out there do not come with accompanying schematics.  This is unhelpful because it turns pedal-building into a paint-by-numbers exercise.  And no-one learns to paint that way...
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

antonis

Quote from: Hedgehog on March 04, 2021, 08:05:51 PM
this Duck Ass guy is usually an asshole.

HOW TRUE & CORRECT..!!!  :icon_lol:

(but we have the nasty habit to love assholes..)  :icon_wink:

kaycee

It's harder to debug/decipher a stripboard layout without a schematic to reference to. A standard Rams Head would have been enough of a clue to work out what the values are around the tone stack and made helping easier at a glance over a cup of tea and a biscuit.

Certainly, it would be helpful if tagboards, a great resource at least linked to one.

You misinterpreted DA's irritation, but you did prove one of you to be an asshole...

11-90-an

^ what everyone else said. Providing schems whenever you have questions really make everything easier. In the event of the time you feel that you don't *need* to provide a schematic, you can always just say that you think it isnt needed, question was answered already, or even, just ignore (though i dont think anyone would appreciate that).

Also, duck isnt an asshole, as unlike all the other assholes out there, he doesnt spout sh!t or anything of the sort, instead, he asks simple questions that make you slap yourself in the face and say "why didnt I think of that?". Really, it depends on the way you think.

flip flop flip flop flip

duck_arse

Quote from: r080 on March 04, 2021, 01:48:08 PM

well, r080, I hope you won't be insulted if I answer your question. wire in the middle of the board? you oughta see some of the layouts I do. no, the idea that "there is no schematic" is what gets me. schematics are drawn by somebody, so somebody knows where the parts go. without a circuit diagram, you can't check [or create] a layout diagram of any accuracy. I mean, I've drawn a lot of circuit diagrams , it isn't hard to do, pencil and paper is adequate. and the simple act of the scribbling the circuit will often answer any questions about where what goes.

oh, no. I've just realised I've quoted one of your messages again. I hope I'm not in line for another free character assesment.