Repair of Alchemy modded Cry Baby

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, March 02, 2021, 09:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Friend of mine gave me a Cry Baby that he sent in for mod by Alchemy. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the "mod" was just a drop-in BYOC wah kit  :o

Anyways, something I noticed with the design of the PCB that threw me for a loop.......

The battery bypass is different than any I have seen before. Instead of wiring the Battery GND to the Input jack Ring and having the In/Out jack sleeves and PCB GND directly connected to the DC jack GND, they configured the PCB to have the Battery GND go directly to the DC jack GND and to the Input jack Ring. So... instead of having the PCB GND and In/Out jack GND always tied to the DC jack GND, you have to insert the Input jack to complete the connection between the Input jack Sleeve and Ring to get GND to the circuit.

Wondering if this is a good setup for power switching  ???
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

iainpunk

1) that's super sketchy! i hope they at-least use mojo parts!

2) that seems to be alright, as long as the current path is intact when the jack is inserted, and broken when there's no jack.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: iainpunk on March 02, 2021, 10:43:11 AM
1) that's super sketchy! i hope they at-least use mojo parts!

2) that seems to be alright, as long as the current path is intact when the jack is inserted, and broken when there's no jack.

cheers

1) Well... they used a Halo Inductor and some CV-type transistors in small metal can. Mojo??

2) I was thinking the same thing however, by channeling the PCB ground connection via the Input Jack Sleeve/Ring connection, if the Ring loses connection... the pedal is DEAD totally. By doing it the other way, you just lose Battery operation.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'