Beavis Board and Dano....

Started by vandy12, March 04, 2021, 03:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandy12

I wanted to build a Beavis Board to tinker around with and I tried to contact the guy who made it Dano at his email address. Dano@beavisaudio.com. The emails got returned. Anyone know how to contact him? I know he developed this some time ago, and I was curious what happened to him for one, and also can anyone tell me why Beavis Board didn't do well commercially? Just not enough people out there doing that kind of tinkering to make it sell well?

Maybe I'm alone with my thoughts, but I think there would be plenty of musicians who would LOVE to have some kind of an electronic board that was multi-functional. Something that could help you test and develop guitar harness. Circuits for pedals. Test cables. Just like a musicians dream of a multi-tool. We like sound so we like to manipulate sound to make new sounds. Don't we? At least I do. I guess there are some who just play and don't get involved in this aspect. I do think they are in the minority though. The closest thing I've seen along the lines of what I'm talking about are some of the development boards at Digilent. They are not geared for guitar players and the music tinkering though. I am really surprised someone has not developed more of the Beavis Board type devices in different styles with different functions.

duck_arse

don't make me draw another line.

iainpunk

Quotealso can anyone tell me why Beavis Board didn't do well commercially? Just not enough people out there doing that kind of tinkering to make it sell well?
its a bit odd to market something easily to make yourself to DIY people, it feels like convincing a woodworker to buy wooden stands he himself can make in 20 minutes, for half the price...
same happened with the Z-Vex Invento Box and Devi Ever's 'Console' perfboard cartridge pedal*... simple breadboards are cheap, as are planks to put them on and a panel to mount jacks, sockets, pots and switches to is also cheap and easy to make.

cheers, Iain

*rumors state that the 'Console' thing was vapor ware, and a whole controversy over it came about. over $30k was pledged on KickStarter and nothing has been realized or payed back
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

dano12

Hey you can PM me here.

We sold every beavis board (something like 100) at a major loss. A lot of people thought it was a hunk of wood, but it was a lot more. A bunch of components sourced from different vendors, lots of documentation, the set of projects, and maintaining the inventory of thousands of parts, tech support etc etc etc. Plus it was just a part-time lark.

The inventobox was very nicely constructed, but I don't think it ever got traction. The console thing turned out to be sketchy as hell. A lot of money disappeared and nothing was ever really delivered.

I would heartily not recommend such an endeavor. I think the kit market, PCB and component markets serve the need well enough.

All the docs, projects and build guide are on the beavis site so you can make your own.

This old dude's 2 cents :)