+18v Charge Pump and JFET devices

Started by mikepurcell, March 04, 2021, 05:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikepurcell

I built a Clark Gainster and I'm going to be using a charge pump to run it at +18v. It's just a basic 4558 distortion with some clipping in the feedback loop. I've also got an Xotic EP Booster in the same enclosure, I've got a 2N5457 and a 2N5088 in that one.

Is there a need to run the Xotic off the standard +9v rail? I haven't worked with JFET's that much and barely have a rudimentary understanding of how they function, I wasn't sure if the higher voltage would cause some unexpected behavior. I just checked it out on the bench and it sounds interesting, nothing obviously wrong with the tone but I'm not sure if it will cause problems down the road.

Thanks

antonis

Hi & Welcome.. :icon_wink:

A schematic of both distortion and booster circuits should be helpful..
(no problem with +18V power supply except for caps voltage rating and bias configuration..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

mikepurcell

The Gainster is all the same values, just not the mojo components.

Couldn't find a schematic with exact values I used on the EP Booster, so here's the vero layout.

antonis

Gainster should be fine..
(check for 50μF voltage rating - the one on Vref point (N))

For Xotic EP Booster, I think you'll need a 10k (or bigger) trimpot for Drain resistor and alter BJT bias configuration, both for 2N5088 different pinout and double supply voltage..

edit: You also might to modify 1M biasing 2N5088 Base resistor value, in case of significantly off-setting Emitter quiescent voltage..

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..