Presenting...”The Prototyper”

Started by Big Monk, March 04, 2021, 07:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r080

Do you mind sharing info on the jack mounted charge pump?
Rob

Big Monk

Quote from: r080 on March 15, 2021, 09:57:09 AM

I got it from Mojotone:

https://www.mojotone.com/Pedals-Parts/Pedal-Parts_x/Mojotone-Micro-9V-Charge-Pump-Dual-Rail-Power-Supply_2

Nothing shocking here but the size is a function of SMD components. I drew up a mini-board of my own but was limited by size of components to about 12 mm x 12 mm. Moving forward i'll shrink it some more to have them on hand for PNP builds.

In a 125B size enclosure, there should be room for the one I drew up right between the pots under the DC jack.

If it is to be jack mounted, I dont think anything but SMD parts will suffice.
"Beneath the bebop moon, I'm howling like a loon

iainpunk

[OFF TOPIC]

Here is "The Prototyper":

that guitar in the back ground, it looks kinda funky, is that a round hole with a square peg pickup in it?
is there a story about that? do you have more pictures?
[/OFF TOPIC]

are those power jump-overs really necessary? the red and blue lines suggest that its one big long rail.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Big Monk

Quote from: iainpunk on March 15, 2021, 03:11:16 PM
[OFF TOPIC]

Here is "The Prototyper":

that guitar in the back ground, it looks kinda funky, is that a round hole with a square peg pickup in it?
is there a story about that? do you have more pictures?
[/OFF TOPIC]

are those power jump-overs really necessary? the red and blue lines suggest that its one big long rail.

cheers, Iain

That's my Son's 3/4 scale guitar. It originally had a speaker and small amplifier built in but we removed it and put a humbucker in there.

The jump overs connect the top and bottom power/ground strips. Power enters at the beginning of the "horseshoe" shaped rail and I connect power and ground anywhere along the rail. The red and blue lines are a single rail on ONE of the strips. Connecting them gives me the "horseshoe".

davent

Quote from: Big Monk on March 14, 2021, 01:57:17 PM.

Quote from: Big Monk on March 15, 2021, 03:32:48 PM

[OFF TOPIC]

The jump overs connect the top and bottom power/ground strips. Power enters at the beginning of the "horseshoe" shaped rail and I connect power and ground anywhere along the rail. The red and blue lines are a single rail on ONE of the strips. Connecting them gives me the "horseshoe".

I'm sure Iain's referring to the small jumpers all along the power rails. I've never had a board that requires any jumpers along the outside
power strips, two strips continuous the length of the board. Always had to jumper across the board.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

iainpunk

Quote from: davent on March 15, 2021, 05:21:22 PM

[OFF TOPIC]

I'm sure Iain's referring to the small jumpers all along the power rails. I've never had a board that requires any jumpers along the outside
power strips, two strips continuous the length of the board. Always had to jumper across the board.
dave
yes exactly.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Big Monk

Quote from: iainpunk on March 15, 2021, 06:47:15 PM
Quote from: davent on March 15, 2021, 05:21:22 PM

[OFF TOPIC]

dave
yes exactly.

cheers

Very good to know! I always thought they had to be jumped. You learn so eth No new every day!

bluebunny

The continuity of the busbars tends to match the continuity of the painted red and blue lines.  This one would need jumpering in the middle if you wanted the busses to extend the whole width of the board:

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Big Monk

Quote from: Big Monk on March 15, 2021, 10:59:46 AM
Quote from: r080 on March 15, 2021, 09:57:09 AM

I got it from Mojotone:

https://www.mojotone.com/Pedals-Parts/Pedal-Parts_x/Mojotone-Micro-9V-Charge-Pump-Dual-Rail-Power-Supply_2

Nothing shocking here but the size is a function of SMD components. I drew up a mini-board of my own but was limited by size of components to about 12 mm x 12 mm. Moving forward i'll shrink it some more to have them on hand for PNP builds.

In a 125B size enclosure, there should be room for the one I drew up right between the pots under the DC jack.

If it is to be jack mounted, I dont think anything but SMD parts will suffice.

PSA for Today: These micro, jack mounted boards are very sensitive. I burned mine up last night trying to re-attach power leads that came. As convenient as they are, you may be better served to go with something like the Tonepad Bipolar circuit, which is 1" by 1" (so still small).

I ordered a MAX1044 so I can just incorporate it into the far side of my breadboard. After further review, I was uncomfortable with switching the power anyway. Even with diode protection it was a silly idea.

davent

Check out Madbean's RoadRage board, very flexible and has a prototyping rig setup all mapped out in the pdf.

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/_folders/BreadBuddies/pdf/RoadRage2019.pdf
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Big Monk

Quote from: davent on March 16, 2021, 12:15:07 PM
Check out Madbean's RoadRage board, very flexible and has a prototyping rig setup all mapped out in the pdf.

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/_folders/BreadBuddies/pdf/RoadRage2019.pdf

That's pretty slick!

Big Monk

Ok!

Power supply filtering sorted. I ended up using 820 ohm/100uf/0.047 uf.

Grounding sorted.

Power rail jumpers removed (redundant line to line ones). Thanks for the extra set of eyes on that!

So I wired up a Fuzz Face. A bit from here and there. Started as an Axis Face with Amperex Silicon A115s and then i switched over to GE Germanium 2N169s. I have a 100pf across the B-C junctions of Q1 and Q2. I have a 0.033 uf across the 1k at the top of the voltage divider above Q2. I used a 25kB pot to establish that Q2c needed 3.9k on the lower leg to hit 4.5 vDC. Q1c is biased up to the nominal 0.5 vDC.

Added a Easy Face Pre-Gain control. Used a 1kC Fuzz control. Input cap is 0.22 uf and Volume control is 100kA.

Sounds glorious. Need to get a clip together.