Looking for a schematic for an op-amp based treb booster like the BBE Freq Boost

Started by jdoughty, February 25, 2021, 12:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdoughty

Watched a JHS vid where he touched on the BBE Freq Booster being an op-amp based treble boost, and thought that sounded really neat, but its schematic appears to be lost to time. Anyone know of a copy or a similar style op-amp based circuit?

jdoughty

I think I found two after some googling:

https://www.eleccircuit.com/treble-booster-by-741/
https://makingcircuits.com/blog/simple-treble-booster-circuit/

I'm kinda surprised there's this few, but I suppose it could be filed under 'if the transistor based ones ain't broke, why fix 'em?'

Sad I can't find the BBE one. Though who knows, one of these may be based on it after all.

iainpunk

hey, the ones you posted are quite resonant, and will sound like a cocced wah on toe down position.

i have this treble booster schematic i designed but never tested IRL bacause the client decided to buy a rangemaster.

here is the basic schematic. it used s allpass filter with gain to boost the treble, the first opamp is just again stage to even out the response of the range knob (250k). the other knob, is the gain knob, (500k).

its not as complicated as it looks, but it needs some breadboard experimenting, i guess.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Fancy Lime

Opamp based treble booster? Well, there's this new fangled "Tube Screamer". I hear all the kids are using it these days.

Or just design your own from scratch. I'm not sure how much experience you have with circuit design but even if you have none, this is a super easy an fun type of project to get started on that. We'll walk you through it step by step if you need it.

Or - shameless plug - have a look at this:
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=126297.msg1209191#msg1209191
Can be converted to a clean or dirty treble booster by changing a few components. If that is where you want to go, let me known if you need help figuring out what to change.

Edit: forgot to mention the DOD Bifet Preamp, which can be set as or simplified to a treble booster.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

jdoughty

@iainpunk I tried your design. Very nice! I felt like when I had both pots fully open it just brought the guitar to life! Did squeal quite a bit, but I think that's the breadboard combined with the treble boost itself. I may have to play with some values over the week.

@fancy lime, I do need to sit and try your novice driver at some point. I went to the trouble of making those perf layouts, but I got lazy lol.

iainpunk

Quote from: jdoughty on March 06, 2021, 12:22:35 AM
@iainpunk I tried your design. Very nice! I felt like when I had both pots fully open it just brought the guitar to life! Did squeal quite a bit, but I think that's the breadboard combined with the treble boost itself. I may have to play with some values over the week.

@fancy lime, I do need to sit and try your novice driver at some point. I went to the trouble of making those perf layouts, but I got lazy lol.
wow, thanks for the report on that schematic! , i JUST cleared one of my breadboards, i might put the treble booster on there to experiment.
it could well be that the squealing comes from the breadboard use, it could also be the schematic's nature,
ill try and see what it actually does in my setup. it might be that ill change a bunch of values

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers