What do you do with your unused/less liked pedals?

Started by aefpv, March 08, 2021, 11:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aefpv

I have noticed that I am not alone.  Like others, I have begun to enjoy the craze for building pedals. However, some of theses pedals would not make a permanent spot on my pedalboard.

With that in mind, what do you all do with your unused or less liked pedals?  Do you plunder them for parts, give them away, modify them?

Thanks

davent

Mostly just forget about them, dust collectors, the thrill is in the making.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Mark Hammer

I have many more circuit boards than I have enclosures.  If a pedal just doesn't ring my bell anymore, I will either:

a) try and sell it,
b) find a currently-boxless circuit with the same number of controls, and swap the two circuit boards.  If the currently boxless one has more controls than the enclosure does, I may drill more holes to accommodate them.  If the enclosure has more holes than the circuit has controls, I may think about a mod or two to fill up the empty space.
c) let it gather dust in the corners of the storage cabinet until my curiosity is piqued again.  Sometimes, things sound better or more appropriate than you remember them being.

kaycee

All of the above, plus sell a couple now and then. I have several pedals that I will probably hardly ever use, that I just made for the sake of having one or hearing what they are like, no room on a board for them (I have 3 boards).

I'm actually embarking on making a few of the 'classics' just for the fun of it, I expect most will end up on a display shelf in the music room as my boards are pretty much sorted at this point.

stallik

I put mine on a shelf. I have quite a collection. Periodically, I retry one or two to see f I've changed my mind about them.
Today, a delay made it off the shelf onto my temporary board. I didn't like it previously because the repeats were so clean. Now I like it because the repeats are so clean ;) Perhaps it'll make it to my main board, perhaps not
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Marcos - Munky

Basically, all of the above but selling. I don't sell any of my pedals. I also hardly disassemble any pedal to build another one, since I box them only after I test them a bit. Usually, they end up inside a shelf, sometimes I give one to a friend as a gift. And my tastes changes over time too, so sometimes I add them to my pedalboard.

EBK

I also like to periodically play through old pedals.  Somewhat recently, I fell in love with a little boost pedal I built a couple years ago.  I originally built it for a laugh, but now I really enjoy its usefulness.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

iainpunk

i generally don't build enough pedals to have pedals i don't play regularly. i just like using another pedal every time i play, and let the pedal inspire/decide what i'm playing that time.
i do have some commercial pedals i don't play very often, they are currently collecting dust underneath my bed. they will be getting used again when my band can rehearse again

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Phend

• SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

iainpunk

Quote from: Phend on March 09, 2021, 07:32:21 AM
Hook em all together and put in bigger box.

preferably without any bypass controls
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

jimilee

They're in the same boxes with the pedals I really like. I only use a handful of pedals, and I build that much every month. The satisfaction is in the process and at the end I end up with a new toy. Then I throw it in the pile and keep going.

GibsonGM

Same as everyone above...they sit, collect dust, maybe look impressive on the shelf. Then they go back into rotation as one day I just start to mess with one again, 'for sh*ts and grins'.   Next thing you know, they're around for a few months again, and something ELSE goes on the shelf for a bit...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Phend

I display / play em in the man cave. Fuzz Light not shown, Orange Sunshine Booster maybe previewed tomorrow.

• SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.