My univox super fuzz pedal kit won't work

Started by snow123, March 09, 2021, 04:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snow123

i think i want to keep working on this lol

snow123

so if i cant get anything when probing a certain part, does that mean somethings wrong?

snow123

i should have also mentioned that i can get my dry signal through when probing about 5 out of the 9 lugs on the footswitch

eh la bas ma

I am not very experienced with following a signal with a probe.

I think the purpose of the exercise is to follow the signal on the circuit,  untill you find the spot where there is a problem (meaning the signal stops going forward). In order to do that, I think we have to start from the input of the pedal, all the way to the output, following the schematics carefully. The document you have to use is the one which has been kindly provided by Antonis on reply #91 page 5 :

http://generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_superfuzz_sc.pdf

I recommend to use an old amplifier at low volume to probe the signal, because there will be a lot of noises. Loud popping noises aren't good for either your ears and your amp's speakers.
"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

snow123

well i dont have any old or cheap small amps. the only other amp i have in my house is my dads old 10" rickenbacker combo amp.

antonis

Signal path (with relative amplitudes & phase) for audio probing..  :icon_wink:

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

snow123

btw im building the modded one with the clipping trimpot and tone knob instead of tone switch so im pretty sure this is the schematic i need:

antonis

It makes no difference for signal tracing.. :icon_wink:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

snow123

wait are things that are grounded not supposed make any noise when probed?

antonis

I've to admit I'm not sure about "grounded" items anymore..  8)

One side DC grounded resistive items, like R33, R3, R5, R7 and so, are also AC grounded there so there should be "some" voltage difference on their other side..
One side DC grounded reactive items, like C2, C10 & C13 are also AC grounded on their other side so there shouldn't be any voltage difference (almost) between their sides..

That said, there should be audio signal between R3 upper leg & GND but no signal between C10 possitive leg and GND.. :icon_wink:

snow123

grounded as in connected to ground

snow123

well i tried improving the solder joints and everything is making popping noises.

antonis

Didi you resolder PCB with  power on..??

bluebunny

Quote from: snow123 on May 04, 2021, 05:04:36 PM
are things that are grounded not supposed make any noise when probed?

No.  The other end of your probe is also ground (I hope), so you can't possibly expect any voltage difference between the probe ends, so no sound.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

snow123

snow123

snow123

i did fill in all of the empty holes with some solder to make sure everything there was connected

snow123

omg im an idiot. i just realized 2 of the legs on q2 are soldered together LMAO

snow123

snow123

i made a diagram thing of things that did and did not make noise when probed.
green = makes noise when probed
red = does not make noise when probed or lets through a very quiet or weak signal.