My univox super fuzz pedal kit won't work

Started by snow123, March 09, 2021, 04:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snow123

snow123

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on May 05, 2021, 11:02:37 PM
Can you send me a link to where you had sourced the 2N2222A transistors?

There are photos on google showing mixed info. I'm wondering if the pinout varies between manufacturers. At this point I highly recommend you first hand verify the pinouts.

And again, address the solder joints. Practice makes perfect just don't spend too much time in one spot or you'll lose another pad.

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-2N2222-Transistor-Through-2N2222A/dp/B07R4PFTSF/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=2n2222a&qid=1620322958&sr=8-5#customerReviews

pretty sure these are the ones i got

snow123

the pedal now lets through a VERY weak signal to the amp. but its only audible when the gain and volume is maxed out. but it doesnt let anything through when turned off

Kevin Mitchell

Do you have a multimeter with a diode test function? Try my suggestion on the previous page to verify the pins.

Since they're unbranded there's no way to find the applicable datasheet. So let's be sure we have the pins correctly. Then we move forward!
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

snow123

yes i do have one with a diode tester. and how would i test it? like where do i put the leads and whatnot

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on May 06, 2021, 09:41:14 AMWith NPN transistors the forward bias of base to emitter is greater than base to collector.
In diode testing setting, put the black probe to the base lead - we know it's pin two in either variant here. Place the red probe on pin one, record the reading. Now place the red probe on pin 3 and record the reading. The higher reading is the emitter.
I wrote that trying to follow this
https://www.electricaltechnology.org/2013/03/how-to-remember-direction-of-pnp-and.html
  • SUPPORTER

snow123

ok i got basically the same results as they got doing what they did in that article

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: snow123 on May 06, 2021, 03:05:23 PM
ok i got basically the same results as they got doing what they did in that article
So what's the verdict?
  • SUPPORTER

snow123

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on May 06, 2021, 03:52:31 PM
So what's the verdict?

i guess the ones im using are pnp then.

Kevin Mitchell

• SUPPORTER

andy-h-h

Quote from: snow123 on May 06, 2021, 06:01:19 PM
So what's the verdict?

2N2222 transistors are not PNP, they are 100% guaranteed to be NPN.

Rob Strand

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Kevin Mitchell

I very much suggest playing with your multimeter. Look up YouTube videos if it helps. Measure any parts you have lying around and understand what's what. I went back and seen that your meter has a transistor test function. Work your way to that. Learn about polarity and the basics so folks can help you out more adequately!

I can't tell you how many times I hit a brick wall simply because I didn't understand something. But once I can grasp what it is I'm seeing, better questions start to come to mind and I can communicate better. There's awesome folks here who enjoy helping and will continue to try and steer you in the right direction.

One final suggestion, don't box till it rocks.
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

QuoteWork your way to that. Learn about polarity and the basics so folks can help you out more adequately!
I think the OP needs to state the problem again.  I read over it and get lost in the all the detours.

One other point, the audio probe doesn't necessarily have to produce a signal at every point in the circuit or on every pin of a transistor.  How much signal you get depends on the specifics of the circuit.
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

PRR

• SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

QuoteSix EBC variants-- are any missing?
If you stick specifically to the P2N2222A it's only one variant.
but yeah, over the whole family of "2222" devices you have to be careful about the part and package number details.

snow123

Quote from: andy-h-h on May 06, 2021, 08:49:32 PM
Quote from: snow123 on May 06, 2021, 06:01:19 PM
So what's the verdict?

2N2222 transistors are not PNP, they are 100% guaranteed to be NPN.

o. i just saw the thing that said "BC 557 is a PNP Transistor" on the article so i assumed that the ones im using are pnp. my noob-ness is showing alot now

snow123

Quote from: Rob Strand on May 06, 2021, 09:40:25 PM
QuoteWork your way to that. Learn about polarity and the basics so folks can help you out more adequately!
I think the OP needs to state the problem again.  I read over it and get lost in the all the detours.

One other point, the audio probe doesn't necessarily have to produce a signal at every point in the circuit or on every pin of a transistor.  How much signal you get depends on the specifics of the circuit.

the issue is that the pedal cant get a full signal through when turned on ore off rn. at first it would let the dry signal through when off but now it doesnt do that either.

antonis

Quote from: snow123 on May 07, 2021, 01:06:20 AM
the issue is that the pedal cant get a full signal through when turned on

Shall we plz proceed to signal trace..??  :icon_mrgreen:

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..