My univox super fuzz pedal kit won't work

Started by snow123, March 09, 2021, 04:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

Quote from: snow123 on May 06, 2021, 01:45:05 PM

from this image and the sellers details on amazoon, I'd say the transistors are what we think they should be, and oriented correctly.

the TO-92 CASE 29 STYLE 1 seems to be the normal plastic 2N series forward package.
the TO-92 CASE 29 STYLE 17 seems to be the reversed pinout as shown on the P2N sheet.
there is reference in old old Fairchild scans of parts with the same (P2N) pinout, but called FTSO2222, in the TO-236AA/AB package.

it's all a bit trainspottery. I doubt the transistors themselves are the problem here.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

snow123

yea im still kinda thinking the ceramic cap is some part of the problem

aelling

I bet it's the off board wiring, it looks like there could be plenty of cold solder joints and also, if you de-solder a wire you should not re-use it, cut off used end, and strip & tin the wire.

snow123

Quote from: aelling on May 07, 2021, 02:14:46 PM
I bet it's the off board wiring, it looks like there could be plenty of cold solder joints and also, if you de-solder a wire you should not re-use it, cut off used end, and strip & tin the wire.

probably yea. they're might be like 2 potential issues on the pcb (probably just a couple of weak solder joints) but i think the main culprits arent on the pcb.

antonis

We can easily go up to 100 pages or more without signal trace implementation, can't we..??  :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Rob Strand

It's still not clear what transistors you are using.  They seem to be plastic 2N2222A's.  I'm in 100% agreement with duck_arse.   The plastic package implies a PN2222A or a P2N2222A, those two have opposite pinouts.   A plastic package 2N2222A has an ambiguous pinout.    If I had to guess I'd probably go with the PN2222A pinout, the same pinout as the 2N3904.   That's the way you have wired them up (ie. opposite to the GGG documents; the GGG documents are unclear unless you already know then answer!)   The On Semi P2N2222A should be marked with the preceding P on the package but the pics of the device you posted earlier do not show a P.

Let's assume the pinout is correct for now.   The signal trace of the PCB shows a signal on the emitter of the last transistor Q6.    That means we should be getting some signal out of the unit.  But the symptom is we are not.    The signal is getting into the board, since the signal trace works, but it's not getting out.   Beyond Q6 we only have to pass through C16 to the terminal marked "O" at the top right of the layout,

http://generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_superfuzz_lo.pdf

The best thing to do would be to signal trace each side of C16 and the "O" terminal.

To me it looks like there is a problem with the wiring of the footswitch, or the footswitch itself.   The fact you can bypass means the output socket wiring is probably OK.  Maybe a photo of those would make it clear [found some, see below]

If you want something to try you can connect the wire from the "O" terminal directly to the output socket "tip".    You should hear the signal you are getting on   Q6 emitter/C16/"O" terminal on PCB.   That would show the PCB is working.

---------------------
EDIT:
I scanned over the thread and the footswitch wiring pic you posted earlier looks OK.   The wire going between the  "O' PCB terminal and the footswitch is the dark blue wire.     The signal is getting lost somewhere between Q6's emitter and the footswitch.   Maybe try resoldering C16.   You can also use the audio probe around the footswitch wires.   if you get a signal on the dark blue wire on the footswitch maybe the problem is the footswitch soldering or the footswitch itself.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

snow123

i just redid some of the wiring and replaced the led and footswitch

Rob Strand

Quotei just redid some of the wiring and replaced the led and footswitch
So did it work or was it just the same?
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

andy-h-h

Is this a short from the jack tip to sleeve?

It still looks like the tip lugs are touching the enclosure too

Potentially another issue here

snow123

snow123

wait i have my dc jack wired wrong LMAO. im so dumb

snow123

ok i fixed it and the led turns on now

snow123

snow123

Rob Strand

QuoteHOLY SHIT THE PEDAL WORKS NOW

I don't quite follow what you actually did but  it's good news anyway.

snow123

andy-h-h

Quote from: snow123 on May 08, 2021, 08:06:59 PM
HOLY SHIT THE PEDAL WORKS NOW

I don't think anyone saw that coming   :icon_biggrin:

Rob Strand

Quotei just replaced C16 and it works now
Ah, that makes sense. 

Good on you for not giving up.    Each electronics project you do you get a few scars and that makes life easier later.

snow123

ok, now that im done with the build, what do the 2 trimpots do? i know 1 controls the clipping, but what does the other one do?

andy-h-h

Quote from: snow123 on May 08, 2021, 09:44:46 PM
ok, now that im done with the build, what do the 2 trimpots do? i know 1 controls the clipping, but what does the other one do?

It adjusts the octave - subtle changes, don't expect anything extreme.