Any pointers to custom sheetmetal boxes to match a VOX Tonelab?

Started by DIY Dood, March 15, 2021, 12:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DIY Dood

I'd like to make up an effects box that's a profile match to a VOX Tonelab EX. Sort of an extension box with additional features/effects, if you will. It would require some custom bending to match the curved profiles on the ends. See photo.

Any pointers to someone who does that sort of thing? I'm figuring someone who is set up to do this sort of thing  probably a better choice than trying to get local sheet metal guy to experiment... and I don't even know that I have a "local sheet metal guy" who does small stuff :)

iainpunk

welcome to the forum

biggest pointer: use Aluminium.
- get a good workspace, with the appropriate tools
- learn to bend aluminium before going to the final piece, it will look bad if you have no experience
- maybe ask a local sheet metal company.
- you could go for a commercial not-so-matching enclosure from ebay, just search for ''aluminium project box''

cheers, Iain

friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

DIY Dood

Thanks. Aluminum might not be a bad idea. That would ease bending. I was thinking steel for strength as per the original box.

Unfortunately I don't have much (any) of a shop these days, so the smooth bends are the challenge. I can make flat panels the old school way with hand shears and files. I could probably do 90 degree bends although they might be a little more round than sharp.

Sort of hoping there's a company or person who would do this for a reasonable cost (can't afford "prototyping" services for this). 

DIY Dood

Followup thought... is there a source for bent up sheet metal boxes a la an old-school Big Muff Pi? I know where to find cast aluminum, but not bent sheet metal.

kaycee

It's a lot of effort to make one from scratch, especially without access to tools and work space. Why not get a cheap secondhand wah or volume and repurpose?

BJM

DIY Dood

Quote from: kaycee on March 16, 2021, 05:49:26 AM
It's a lot of effort to make one from scratch, especially without access to tools and work space. Why not get a cheap secondhand wah or volume and repurpose?

Yeah, a WAH was sort of my fall back. It matches well size-wise and with a change to slightly higher rubber feet could be a slanting profile match.

I'd probably lock the pedal in place as I need two or three additional switches and they won't fit side by side on one of those. Using it as a volume or expression pedal once the switches are on there might be difficult... but I might try with the switches to one side. Maybe an on/off lock that would let me use it as a movable pedal on occasion when needed and locked most of the time for easy switch use.

Quote from: BJM on March 16, 2021, 06:33:15 AM
Have you seen http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/steelstud/steelstud.htm ?  That may give you some ideas :).

I hadn't, that raises some interesting ideas. Will read through in more detail. An elongated stud-box would be the width I need and could be sized to length. Minimal work might get me the right slope to match the main box. 

PRR

> get me the right slope to match the main box. 

Use short & long legs to get the slant on top.

Anybody so low they can see the slant on the bottom, call them an Uber, they are done for the night.
  • SUPPORTER

DIY Dood

I'm going to have to do some looking around to find studs like the one in the link. The version that HD & Lowes sell around here aren't as suitable.

BJM

Hi,

I don't think you need a stud as on the Geoflex website, you could do that also with a two flat sheets. Sawing/sanding a wooden block that matches the internal dimensions of the box you want to make shouldn't be too difficult. Also you could make the sides of wood, as for example the TC Juno Chorus.

DIY Dood

I thought of the wood block method , but I don't know that I could get the bends correct without some sort of rigged brake. I used to do some work like this with a large vise and blocks of hardwood, but I lack the workbench and vise now. 

In the case of the box I am trying to mimic, it actually has curved-corners like the stud mentioned... so that would be a feature.

hair force one

Yesterday stumbled on this, basically build like a traditional amplifier head (wood casing, filed corners, covered w/ tolex, metal faceplate and backplate), quiet nice solution if your not part of the "bends and cuts" scene.

https://reverb.com/fr/item/35544081-1979-top-gear-england-fuzz-sustain

(love the battery holder in this old thing)

Electron Tornado

Newark has a custom enclosure service. I have never tried it, however.

https://www.newark.com/custom-enclosures#

There used to be a couple of places that sold stompbox enclosures. (Sorry, can't recall their names.) If you can find one of them, they might do custom work.

If you have good drawings of what you want, Uncle Doug (see link below) might be able to make up an enclosure for you. (No idea what he charges.) Make sure you send him cat toys and catnip.  :icon_wink:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Stratosaurus1

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

DIY Dood