Britannia too bright

Started by salin3, March 18, 2021, 05:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salin3

It'a nice one but too bright for me as my amp and guitar are already bright.
I'd like to have the brillance pot darker at min settings but keep the  same amount of brightness at max settings.
Is it possible ?

Thanks !!

idy

Try increasing the cap attached to the brilliance pot, from 680p to maybe 1n, 2n. You could add a second 680p (or other value) in parallel, just tack it on. Adjust to taste.

antonis

Before altering 680pF cap value, try setup procedure proposed by ROG : http://www.runoffgroove.com/britannia.html

1) Start with Bass and Treble at 12:00, Brilliance at maximum
2) Adjust Gain for desired level of crunch
3) Tune Bass for desired amount of low frequency content
4) Tune Treble to achieve the desired level of clarity and balance the high/low frequencies
5) Reduce Brilliance as necessary until the desired level of top end is attained
6) Repeat from step 2 again if necessary
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

salin3

Quote from: idy on March 18, 2021, 05:25:42 PM
Try increasing the cap attached to the brilliance pot, from 680p to maybe 1n, 2n. You could add a second 680p (or other value) in parallel, just tack it on. Adjust to taste.
Thanks ! I'll try that !

salin3

Quote from: antonis on March 18, 2021, 06:32:10 PM
Before altering 680pF cap value, try setup procedure proposed by ROG : http://www.runoffgroove.com/britannia.html

1) Start with Bass and Treble at 12:00, Brilliance at maximum
2) Adjust Gain for desired level of crunch
3) Tune Bass for desired amount of low frequency content
4) Tune Treble to achieve the desired level of clarity and balance the high/low frequencies
5) Reduce Brilliance as necessary until the desired level of top end is attained
6) Repeat from step 2 again if necessary
Thanks for the reply,
I've already tried that , but the pedal is still too bright.

antonis

By raising 680pF cap value you "offset" Brilliance range (you move it downwards) so you cant:
>have the brillance pot darker at min settings but keep the  same amount of brightness at max settings<
'cause both min and max settings will be darker too..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

iainpunk

Quote from: antonis on March 19, 2021, 04:18:16 PM
By raising 680pF cap value you "offset" Brilliance range (you move it downwards) so you cant:
>have the brillance pot darker at min settings but keep the  same amount of brightness at max settings<
you could change the pot to 250k or 500k instead, that would increase the range.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

salin3

Quote from: iainpunk on March 19, 2021, 07:27:00 PM
Quote from: antonis on March 19, 2021, 04:18:16 PM
you could change the pot to 250k or 500k instead, that would increase the range.

cheers
Ok thanks ! I'll try to put a 250k.

KarenColumbo

You could put some 220 pF or so (try up to 1 nF) parallel to Q1's and Q4's drains. They will cut off a bit of the bite, if I remember correctly. Just don't ask me why :) (maybe simulated Miller capacitance or soch a thing)
OR you go brute force and add ROG's patented minimalistic cab sim at the output right before the output pot, like they've done with the "Azabache": http://www.runoffgroove.com/azabache.html. This will alter the character, but in a smooth way.
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

salin3

Thanks for all your replies . I've put a 250k and it's perfect for me.

Vivek

The Britannia is too bright because the sun never sets on the British Empire

https://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question37864.html