Using the "Load Hex" function of SpinCAD Designer

Started by Digital Larry, March 20, 2021, 11:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digital Larry

This function allows you to load a single patch from a Spin Hex file into the current patch slot.  It doesn't disassemble it for you or let you edit it as a normal SpinCAD patch.  It just lets you use it as part of a new hex file you would create.  You can't "load hex" and then "save patch".

The other thing to be aware of is that Spin Hex files contain data for 8 patches.  "Load Hex" just picks the first one.  If you wish to access any of the others, then you'll have to trim the front end of the hex file so that your desired patch is the first one.  As the file is a fixed length, and each patch represents 1/8th of this length, I'll leave it to anyone interested to figure out where to make the incisions.

I also think that you could use this to reorder all patches in an existing hex file because the address information is stripped off and regenerated when you "export as hex".  Clearly the feature could be enhanced if that sort of thing were important to people.  Anyone know Java?
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

pruttelherrie

Quote from: Digital Larry on March 20, 2021, 11:02:09 AMAs the file is a fixed length, and each patch represents 1/8th of this length, I'll leave it to anyone interested to figure out where to make the incisions.

split -b -l 128 filename.hex

This will generate 9 files, of which the first 8 are the patches.

[edit] thanks for the info, btw :)