Should I wash between primer and clear coat?

Started by ItsGiusto, March 21, 2021, 03:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsGiusto

I typically apply a Rustoleum Painter's Touch colored primer, then maybe write on it with a paint pen. After letting that cure for 48 hours, should I give the enclosure a rub with a wet paper towel or something before clear coating, just to take off any debris that might have settled on it? Obviously I'd let it dry for like an hour after that before spraying clear.

toneman

no need for a damp wipe before clearcoat.  But, u might want to use a "tack rag" just before the clearcoat.  Dont rub hard!! Just a light wipe to remove surface dust.
wiping with a damp cloth can leave lint!!!!  Since it's primer, U Might want to "skuff" the surface with 600.  Then tack rag,. then clearcoat.  Make sure clearcoat and surface coat are compatable chemistries.   Paint ON!!
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

ItsGiusto

Quote from: toneman on March 21, 2021, 03:37:47 PM
no need for a damp wipe before clearcoat.  But, u might want to use a "tack rag" just before the clearcoat.  Dont rub hard!! Just a light wipe to remove surface dust.
wiping with a damp cloth can leave lint!!!!  Since it's primer, U Might want to "skuff" the surface with 600.  Then tack rag,. then clearcoat.  Make sure clearcoat and surface coat are compatable chemistries.   Paint ON!!
Thanks!

Historically, I've never dry sanded before the clear coat (wet sanded once when I tried poured acrylics, to reduce the bumpiness), but I do see people saying to scuff the surface. But won't the scuffed surface be visible once the clear coat is applied?

davent

Compressed air or a soft bristled, clean, dry paint brush, i keep a lint roller handy, no apparent ill effects. All that should be there to remove is some dust that may have settled on it.

Scuff sanding with 600grit doesn't leave scratches that would be visible under clearcoat, you're getting close to the polishing stage at 600.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg