DOD DFX9 repaired but noisier than expected

Started by munkeyboy, March 24, 2021, 03:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

munkeyboy

I have this DFX9 that came in broken.  There were a few things wrong, but mainly it was the electrolytic caps.   They have all been replaced along with the level pot (tho this is temp linear used pot).  The issue is that it carries a lot of white noise on the delay signal.  Kinda like a light airy static when the repeat comes on.   I know some of these old dod/digitechs can be noisy, but this seems too much.   I had a few PDS1002 that I repaired and they are super quiet in comparison.   Since I've replaced all the electrolytic caps which I would normally associate to noise when they go bad, I'm not sure where to look next.   Anyone have a clue around how I can lessen that white noise?  Or any place I should be testing?

Thanks in advance.

munkeyboy

Not sure if we are talking about the same pedal, but I assume mine is not the reissue.  The three internal trim pots do not affect noise like in a analog delay, just repeats and clock and one that affects mode selection (voltage ladder?).   Adjusting either of them makes no difference in the white noise produced.

I'm wondering if this is not the correct forum or sub to post this in since this is DIY forum.  Is there other forums that have more activity around pedal repair?

11-90-an

sadly you have been replied to by a spambot..  :-\

sadly too i have no experience whatsoever with digital pedals so you would have to wait a bit for a more professional person...

welcome to the forum too..
flip flop flip flop flip

Raynor

You can sample a little bit of a phrase and play it back infinitely and when you turn the delay knob the pitch and speed of the sample shifts. The range is massive, much more than 1 octave up or down for instance. Its possible to get really low rumbling sounds as well as high pitched flute-like stuff. I've not found anything like it.