advice for a diy stereo preamp (hifi-alike)

Started by snk, March 26, 2021, 05:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snk

Hello,
I am quite often recording to tape, and I like to push the treble a bit while recording, and boost the bass a bit while playbacking.
At the moment, I do this using either a mixing desk eq or a graphic eq in a rack. Both work fine, but i wish I had a simple box allowing me to do this in a simple fashion.

This is what I'd need :
- stereo operation;
- good audio quality (maybe running at 12-24 volts for more headroom? Also, using low noise op-amps);
- High bandwidth (20Hz-20kHz)
- 0/+3/+6dB treble boost at the input (shelf, @12kHz)
- 0/+3/+6dB bass boost (shelf, @60-80Hz)
- I am considering a rotary switch for stepped action instead of a regular pot, this is why i mentionned "0/+3/+6dB" instead of "0/+6dB".

I don't know if I am looking at the wrong place, but i can't find a good starting point for this task (maybe because it's better to use a console eq or a dedicated graphic eq?) : all I find is either a "guitar booster" (with lower bandwidth, lower headroom, unknown boosting frequencies, and, most of the time, more "color" and less "hifi), or a "hifi preamp" with bells & whistles (too many inputs, phono preamp, audiophile gold-plated 24 carats resistors and cable shielding made on Proxima Centauri)...

Would anyone have advices or hints for good starting points, please?

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

PRR

Just build a bass/treble tone network. It may go +/-15dB but you can turn it just a bit for +3dB or whatever.

You can buy far cheaper than you can build.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Kits-NE5532-Preamp-Pre-amplifier-Tone-Board-Treble-Alto-Bass-Volume-Control/292107031588
  • SUPPORTER

garcho

^ that's way cheaper than just buying the dual gang pots even, zheesh
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

snk

QuoteYou can buy far cheaper than you can build.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Kits-NE5532-Preamp-Pre-amplifier-Tone-Board-Treble-Alto-Bass-Volume-Control/292107031588
Wow, that price is crazy indeed  :icon_eek:
I don't know if it is stereo, and what the 4th knob do (there is bass, treble, volume... but what else?)

QuoteHave you checked out ESP? https://sound-au.com/projects.htm
I had seen this one, but it seemed way overkill for my needs ;)
I will look at the others, thank you for the hint.

garcho

QuoteI don't know if it is stereo, and what the 4th knob do (there is bass, treble, volume... but what else?)

They've mistakenly called the midrange control "alto", which is kind of cute. It's stereo, check out the inputs/outputs.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

snk

Hello,
Sorry I didn't reply earlier  :icon_redface:
Thank you both for your suggestions!
The Ebay kit is very cheap, but I like the idea to build something from scratch and I am not in a hurry, so I'll take the time ton consider both options ;)

printer2

I have enough stuff to build myself I don't need to build from scratch. Going to pick one up.
Fred