Author Topic: Order switching/multi-effects wiring Q  (Read 189 times)

mdcmdcmdc

Order switching/multi-effects wiring Q
« on: March 30, 2021, 03:54:47 PM »
Hello hivemind I have a question...

I'd like to put two effects (fuzz+boost) in a single enclosure with the following functionality:

1 footswitch to bypass the entire enclosure (both fuzz and boost)
1 footswitch to toggle the boost on/off
1 switch to move the boost pre or post fuzz

The boost doesn't work independent of the fuzz; the fuzz is always on if the unit is engaged, the boost can be switched in or out once the entire unit is on, the boost on/off is independent of the entire unit's on/off.

I've found wiring schematics for both order switching and for a two effect arrangement like I've described; but I haven't seem one that combines both. Before I started to try and hack something together myself I was hoping someone might've solved this already and would have a handy link to a wiring diagram.

Thanks in advance!

Mark Hammer

Re: Order switching/multi-effects wiring Q
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 04:51:41 PM »
The wiring diagram you've likely found for order switching will show a master in and master out.  That will go to your entire-bypass switch, that will, in turn, either connect the in and out jacks for the enclosure, OR route things to the order-flipper switch.  The order-flipper switch will, in turn, do most of the hard-lifting for you.

Does that make sense?

I generally use a 3PDT toggle for order flipping, largely because I can't imagine order-flipping mid-song (so no footswitch needed) and because the handle-position on a toggle shows me what comes first, without requiring an LED.

antonis

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 04:53:16 PM »
the boost on/off is independent of the entire unit's on/off.

Can't see any reason for that..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

mdcmdcmdc

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 05:06:03 PM »
the boost on/off is independent of the entire unit's on/off.

Can't see any reason for that..

Having the bypass set like this allows me to go from clean to boosted fuzz.
Fuzz and boost on separate on/offs would mean hitting two footswitches at once to make that happen, or leaving the boost on all the time, or leaving the fuzz on all the time.
Essentially I want two pedals in an effects loop—one of them I'm leaving on all the time—plus the option of switching the order easily.

mdcmdcmdc

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 05:07:00 PM »
The wiring diagram you've likely found for order switching will show a master in and master out.  That will go to your entire-bypass switch, that will, in turn, either connect the in and out jacks for the enclosure, OR route things to the order-flipper switch.  The order-flipper switch will, in turn, do most of the hard-lifting for you.

Does that make sense?

I generally use a 3PDT toggle for order flipping, largely because I can't imagine order-flipping mid-song (so no footswitch needed) and because the handle-position on a toggle shows me what comes first, without requiring an LED.

I think I'm following you—I'll take a closer look at the wiring diagrams and see if it's clear. Thank so much!

webberfx

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 07:25:20 AM »
here something like this should work.