Hand-painting a pedal

Started by winnetouch, March 30, 2021, 12:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winnetouch

BTW, what do you use to fixate paint like this? Will spray lacquer do? Or will it melt my colors?

garcho

^ it depends on what both the paint and the finish are made of, wrong combination and it smears bigly
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

bluebunny

Yeah, this.  ^^

"Know your chemistry."
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

winnetouch

The good news is it didn't melt the paint. The bad news is it left weird white/transparent patches all over the paint. Lesson learned. Next time I'll head to the hobby shop and buy appropriate Laquer :P.

Fancy Lime

Quote from: bluebunny on April 08, 2021, 11:33:20 AM
Yeah, this.  ^^

"Know your chemistry."
Easier said than done. Most paint manufacturers are not overly forthcoming with their recipes. Often "water based" or "solvent based" is all you are told. "Water based" is useful information but "solvent based" is non-information. Since we usually want non-water based paints because they tend to be hardier, testing is always recommended.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

davent

And even after testing months down the road things could still go off the rail. Have had the clearcoat, and even using the same products from previous successes, the clearcoat has cracked and checked.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

kaycee

The best thing to do is to have a test piece and try out on that first. Use water based clear with water based paints and solvent with solvent (what you clean the brushes with is the clue). I use brush on plastikote clear over water based acrylic and on Ranger alcohol inks.

noisette

don´t touch em up - make another pedal :-X
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
― Kurt Vonnegut

davent

Quote from: winnetouch on April 08, 2021, 07:34:26 AM
Meh... I don't know. I'm an illustrator by trade and those messy lines just bug me :P. I'll try to touch them up a bit :).

Back when i tried a couple different brands of white paint pens, water & oil, i was never happy with my results and found an alternative that worked for me, diy Coke can pen & thinned gauche paint.

Anyways, Email today from a local art supplier and they are advertising Sennelier Acrylic paints and there is a pack of eight different tips available you can use on their paint bottles to apply paint, not all applicable for lettering but a good assortment of single line tips.

Not having seen them in my hand or used them, might be a better alternative to the pens.

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

anotherjim

Another line drawing tool, a Ruling pen...

You can drop normal acrylic paint in between the tips off a %^&*tail stick (don't dip the pen). Doesn't have to be loaded with paint, a masking solution can also be used. Keep the outside wiped clean then it's far neater to use with templates or stencils.

davent

Quote from: anotherjim on July 21, 2021, 05:06:34 PM
Another line drawing tool, a Ruling pen...

You can drop normal acrylic paint in between the tips off a %^&*tail stick (don't dip the pen). Doesn't have to be loaded with paint, a masking solution can also be used. Keep the outside wiped clean then it's far neater to use with templates or stencils.

Another option is a homemade, coke/soda/pop can pen.

khm9

Quote from: winnetouch on April 08, 2021, 03:39:24 AM
Well...

I'm definitely going with a brush and paint next time. The markers are just too inaccurate. Varying line weight is pretty much out of the question with markers :P.

Really cute pedal art. I love it!